+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Allowing a PrintServer full access to Students Home Folders for network doc scanning in Technical; Morning all, We are currently finishing off the installation of a Follow Me Print solution with some new MFP (Photocopiers) ...
    Thank Post

Allowing a PrintServer full access to Students Home Folders for network doc scanning

Morning all,

We are currently finishing off the installation of a Follow Me Print solution with some new MFP (Photocopiers) and Biometric's with PCounter running the show.

Part of the MFP is scanning. We would like the students and staff to be able to scan and the scanned image saved to their home drive (V.

On the home drive folder I need to add the PrintServer as a user to each individual users folder. I've done this manually on our test student and the scanning works fine, but I would like to be able to push out this to all 1500 home folders if possible.

To add the PrintServer$ to the test user I had to right click the user's folder --> Properties --> Security and then click the Edit.. button. From there click the Add... button. On the new window click on Object Types.. and place a tick in the Computers box. Click OK and then tap in PrintServer$ in the Object Names section. This then allowed the PrintServer$ access to the folder after setting the permissions.

Is there any method of doing this via a utility of script? I've tried the WiseSoft Permissions util (NTFSFix) but that does not seem able to manage it.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Thank Post
    Cheeky *bump* to see if anyone has an idea.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Scripting xcalcs would do it.

Or take a look at Features | Helge Klein | Home of SetACL

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SetACL would be the way to script it but why are you using a computer account to give perms, surely a service/user account for the print system would be a bit more secure. How will it prevent students from dumping stuff in others folders. If it can pick the user, from the system to tell it where to put it is there no way for the students to log on to the copier and use their own credentials to access their own folders.

I usually set up copiers to scan to email so they can email it to themselves and have a central shared drive to scan stuff to. Some copiers can actually use AD credentials to log into them at which point there is usually a setting for credential passthrough which can make things easier. Even if you have a central shared scanned docs folder that drops the scans into with the creator set to the domain user that was logged on to the copier at the time. You can then use DFS with ABE (access based enumeration) to only show docs to the user that they have access to, ie their own.

Thank Post
    surely you can just allow your printserver$ user to just have access to the entire folder where you store your home folders just use the inherit permissions tick box ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread