+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPO local security config. in Technical; Hi all, Hope someone can tell me howto undo the stupid gpo config i made today ! even after 15 ...

Thank Post

GPO local security config.

Hi all,

Hope someone can tell me howto undo the stupid gpo config i made today ! even after 15 years in the industry this one has me chuckle to myself.

i was fine tuning the default domain policy (should be desktops inheriting only) this afternoon when i remembered about changing the local admin password on our newly image pc's. Thought to myself this is a good idea.... hmmm not as it it happens. i set the policy and all was well. then 30 minutes later i rdp to a server and get refused on my username or password being incorrect! ok i thought whats changed ? my policy which shouldn't affect the servers. tried the new administrator name and i get straight in. (me the idiot) so i undo my policy and run gpupdate on the servers get asked to log off so i do then wait for 30 mins for the changes to propagate. they don't.....

so i can access the servers with the unwanted "new" administrator account but would rather like to logon simply again as plain ole Administrator

any ideas how i can get this back to how it should be ? i cant re-name the account in users and computers as the account is masked with a new name. (but is still administrator)

many thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Could you set the account name to being administrator in the local policy that you changed in the first place, this should then change it back. Removing it won't just change something back that has been physically changed, but if you activate the setting again and change the username back to being administrator, that should sort it out for you I think ..

PS. we all make silly mistakes, just be glad you realised and hadn't messed up any spellings, I've heard of people having to do full system recoveries when they've made a fat finger error when doing this kind of thing before. You'd be better off making the change to a GPO that is specifically directed at your workstations. My motto has always been the less changed on the default setting, the better in the long run!

3. Thanks to soveryapt from:

richbrowncardiff (16th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks Very much. i just tested via the vpn and the changes finally propagated. Will be following my own advice in future and double check inheritance!

cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richbrowncardiff View Post
    Thanks Very much. i just tested via the vpn and the changes finally propagated. Will be following my own advice in future and double check inheritance!

cheers
    No worries.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread