Corrupted User Account??
We had an interesting self inflicted error at the end of last term, which I think has resulted in corrupting my user account login.
Basically, someone (not me) was fixing a time server issue to get our clock running properly, and inadvertantly changed the date at the same time to two months earlier. Once we'd discovered this, I reset the date and rebooted the server. I wasn't aware that I was logged in anywhere, so not sure what happened to my user account. However, now when I log in I am getting a scripting error and group policy isn't being applied. Interestingly one of the drive maps from the login scripts works, but other drives aren't mapped and there are no printers available. Group policy for folder redirection, favourites redirection, and other things isn't being applied. If I try to run the Group Policy results wizard, it tells me that the user doesn't exist. However, I can find the account in Active Directory, right click on it and get the Properties up, and it appears to be in the right place in AD. I am the only user running roaming profiles - all the other users have mandatory profiles, and all other user accounts (including the admin account) appear to be OK. I've removed any cached profiles from the machines that I've tried logging in to. As the proxy settings are in GP, I can't access the Internet. I did try manually editing in the proxy settings but they won't stay. As soon as I click OK they disappear.
Any ideas as to how I can fix this? I don't want to delete the account as that will lose my documents as well, won't it??
OK. I've fixed it myself though it was a bit scary and seemed drastic. I made a note of the main settings tab entries in the user account properties (profile, home folder, etc.) then used Ad Infinitum to delete the user account (making sure that the Delete Home Folder box was unticked but that the profile was ticked as being deleted). Checked that my home folder was still in our user data share - it was - phew! Then used Ad Infinitum to very carefully recreate the user account. It's worked - I can now access the Internet, access all of the mapped drives and get to my redirected Favourites! The only thing I have lost is some of my desktop settings (those in my profile and not controlled by GP) and some of my IE preferences (again those were in the deleted profile) but neither of these are a big headache compared to having the corrupted user account.