+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Exchange 2003 problem in Technical; Hi we have just recently migrated our 2 child domains into our forest. One sub domain has been decommissioned but ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2003 problem

Hi we have just recently migrated our 2 child domains into our forest. One sub domain has been decommissioned but we are having trouble decommisioning the other.

The thing is all our users are authenticated successfully to the forest domain so none are left on one of our sub domains. Our exchange 2003 server is in the forest root domain but has been configured to pass login info to a dc on the last sub domain that we are trying to get rid of. Exchange won't work properly with this last server off which I cannot understand why. There are no mailboxes or anything on this particular dc that is the problem.

Does anyone know how I can make our mail server pass information straight to the dcs on the forest and take the sub domain out of the equation? Like I say I cannot understand what it is doing because there are no users or groups left on the sub domain anymore!

If I look in ESM it has listed first the DC on our admin domain which is what I want rid of but scared of it messing everything up and then listed second is the actual exchange server. Also ESM only shows it using the DC on the admin domain and not the dcs in the forest as I would like.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Adam.
    Last edited by Badaz52; 7th August 2012 at 05:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Is the root dc also a gc?

How many do you have in the root domain?

Have you ever statically configured dc/gc for use with Exch? This is an option.

Up the logging for adtopology then check the app log for a 2080 event and post that.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/exchange-system-manager-domain-controller-selection.html
    Last edited by sukh; 7th August 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Is the root dc also a gc?

How many do you have in the root domain?

Have you ever statically configured dc/gc for use with Exch? This is an option.

Up the logging for adtopology then check the app log for a 2080 event and post that.
    Currently our setup is:

Forest:

SERVER 1 (DC, GC)
    SERVER 2 (DC, GC)
    SERVER 3 (DC, GC)
    EXCHANGE SERVER

Admin sub domain:

SERVER 1 (DC,GC)

We tried to statically point Exchange to SERVER1, 2 and 3 in the forest but it isn't happy it wants to point to SERVER1 in the admin sub domain. If we turn off SERVER1 in the admin sub domain none of the services on the exchange server start properly and we cannot login to any email items. The strange thing is all the users are in the forest and the admin sub domain contains nothing.

If I load up ESM under First Administrative Group>Servers there is a connector for SERVER1 on the admin sub domain which when expanded has nothing in it and below that another server which is our exchange server containing all the mailboxes etc.

Thank Post
    Is Exch installed on a dc/gc?

Can you up the logging?

Thank Post
    Is Exch installed on a dc/gc?

Can you up the logging?
    Exch is not installed on a DC/GC.

I'll test the logging tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Also, after the static config, did you restart thr SA and topologu service?

Thank Post
    Also, after the static config, did you restart thr SA and topologu service?
    One thing I haven't mentioned yet which may be crucial with forcing it to select a DC is on our forest all DC's are now running server 2008 R2. Our dc on the admin sub domain is the only remaining server running server 2003 as is the exchange server running server 2003 and exchange 2003. Could this be the cause?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badaz52 View Post
    One thing I haven't mentioned yet which may be crucial with forcing it to select a DC is on our forest all DC's are now running server 2008 R2. Our dc on the admin sub domain is the only remaining server running server 2003 as is the exchange server running server 2003 and exchange 2003. Could this be the cause?
    exchange 2003 doesn't support 2008 r2 if the domain functional level is that high , i think you need to rebuild the exchange server and migrate the emails over as it is in a different domain, exchange doesnt support migrating domains i believe.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badaz52 View Post
    It's supported, I don't think that is the issue. - Exchange Server Supportability Matrix: Exchange 2010 Help

Did you configure as per kb - Directory service server detection and DSAccess usage

Did you restart the SA?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by victory2012 View Post
    exchange 2003 doesn't support 2008 r2 if the domain functional level is that high , i think you need to rebuild the exchange server and migrate the emails over as it is in a different domain, exchange doesnt support migrating domains i believe.
    Exch has a mapping to a forest not domains.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread