+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Extend system partition server 2003 in Technical; Help! I have a windows server 2003 installation on a 20gb partition, on a 73gb sczzi drive. It is a ...

Thank Post

Extend system partition server 2003

Help! I have a windows server 2003 installation on a 20gb partition, on a 73gb sczzi drive. It is a dynamic disk. I have ran out of space on my c partiton and have no data on the rest of that drive. I have thought about third party software, but can't find anything that really convinces me it is the one to use. Has anyone experienced this and how did you solve it? I really want to avoid wiping and reinstalling if possible.
    Thanks again everyone!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Extend system partition server 2003

Obvious way out is to use your backup/restore system. Just restore onto a bigger disk than you started with.

Failing that, your stuck with 3rd party and Open Source solutions.

Your data. Your choice.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Obvious way out is to use your backup/restore system. Just restore onto a bigger disk than you started with.

Failing that, your stuck with 3rd party and Open Source solutions.

Your data. Your choice.
    As Geoff said. If you have Symantec ghost, then you could buy another hdd, and image the drive over to it, but choose different sized partitions. Done that with one of the schools I work at.

Another place I worked at, we had same problems, and they had Paragon Partition Manager Server, which was an excellent bit of kit for resizing partitions. Tried to use the demo version at this school, but it didn't do anything. Hence the need to use ghost (cheapest option as we had ghost).

So just depends on what you wanna do. I think that software is really expensive, but only thing could find which would do it, and also has loads of other handy stuff available on it...

Thank Post

Move the Page file?

Thank Post

What are you using 20GB for on the C: drive? Do you have programs such as backup or SQL databases on your C: drive? Would be worth creating a D: drive and moving all non system programs to the new drive?

Andrew

Thank Post

I have a version of Symantec Ghost, has anybody carried this out in the past? What steps would you take with the software? partition to disk then back again? We are running quite a few applications on it and it would be quite messy to move stuff from it onto another drive. I really don't fancy restoring from backup if I can avoid it, Thanks for your advice everyone,

P.S. lovelldr - If you could let me know exactly how you did this with Ghost I will be very gratefull.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dgardner
    I have a version of Symantec Ghost, has anybody carried this out in the past? What steps would you take with the software? partition to disk then back again? We are running quite a few applications on it and it would be quite messy to move stuff from it onto another drive. I really don't fancy restoring from backup if I can avoid it, Thanks for your advice everyone,

P.S. lovelldr - If you could let me know exactly how you did this with Ghost I will be very gratefull.
    OK, what I did is booted the computer with the ghost boot disk (into dos). Then, when the ghost program started, chose the "Local" option, then choose "Disk" and then "To Disk". This is assuming that you have 2 physical disks in the server (not talking about mirrored drives). Then, select the drive which has all the partitions on it you want, the drive you want to copy it to, and then it will give you the option to select what size you want to give to the new partitions... Choose something bigger.

hth

Thank Post

Wow! that exactly what I was after, thank you very much. I will let you know how I get on next week.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

What do you have taking all the space up on c: though?

I would have thought 20gb was plenty for the system partition?

Ben

Thank Post

I tell a lie, it is in fact 15gb. We are running a few applications on it too. It is not dangerously low yet, down to 1gb. I'd like to get it done before the summer hols.

Thank Post

Hope it goes well for you. Gotta note that this was done on a new hdd that was bigger than my current hdd, but shouldn't notice any problems...

Let us know how it goes. Just wondering also though, why the rush to get it done before end of the hols? Surely the hols would be the best time to do it? (Unless you're one of the lucky it buggers who gets the whole holidays off??? )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jew View Post
    Ah, a similar question to 'Server 2003 - Disk Partition Software - Which one? ' and I would like to repeat my anwsers:
    Resizing partitions under windows 2003 server is a difficult task for most PC users. Now, EASEUS Partition manager Server has made resizing partitions under windows Server 2003 a simple task. ... for more information of How to Resize Partitions under Windows 2003 Server? You may visit:
    How to Resize Partitions under Windows 2003 Server?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    If the system drive has already been converted from Basic to Dynamic, you can increase its size using Computer Management.

zhu
    Thank Post

see this article

Many computer users, including me would encounter this problem. It is not clever to ghost the system partition and then restore to another hard disk, complex, why not resize the partition directly. there are many SW that can do this, for example, acronis, but it is too expensive, $699 for server. at last, I found this article Extend System Partition on Windows Server 2003 and solved the problem

zhu
    Thank Post

resize dynamic disk indirectly

Hi guys, there is no SW that can resize dynamic disk directly like on a basic disk. To solve the problem, there are two ways.
    Backup your server and reset the partition size, then restore it again, using GHOST. Little software supports backing up dynamic disk or volume.

The second way is copy the dyanmic volume to another basic disk to resize or convert it to basic disk directly. I do not recommend convert dynamic disk directly to basic, as it is dangerous if there is an error when converting, besides, you can only convert simple volume.

I've heard that someone using copy dynamic volume to solve this problem, it is safe
    refer copy dynamic volume tutorial

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast