+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, DHCP problems - help needed in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer If you export the dhcp db settings as a txt file you can use the xls ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If you export the dhcp db settings as a txt file you can use the xls file on my website to create the netsh commands needed to insert the reservations into the new db.

Then if you create a new blank dhcp server setup that would avoid there being any db corruption transfer possibility.

Ben
    And you think I have any idea what you are talking about? No idea what a netsh command is when it's at home!
    Remember - witch good at CVs, witch OK at straightforward tech, witch not so good at this sort of stuff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    And you think I have any idea what you are talking about? No idea what a netsh command is when it's at home!
    Remember - witch good at CVs, witch OK at straightforward tech, witch not so good at this sort of stuff
    Sorry, only just caught this thread - pm me if you want me to come over and have a look with you...

3. Thanks to Netman from:

witch (25th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Factory default IP is 10.90.90.90 subnet mask 255.0.0.0 from page 19 of ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DG...nual_v2.02.pdf

You may need to set a workstation to a static IP of 10.90.90.91 mask 255.0.0.0 or somethign like that to connect initially and the default password is admin.

Thank Post
    To export DHCP reservations, from the source server:

Open elevated Command Prompt (Right-click run as Administrator)

netsh dhcp server [ip address] scope [scope address] dump>reserv.txt

Open up ‘reserv.txt’ in a text editor, do a Find->Replace for the source server IP, change to the destination server IP. Trim out everything in the file except for the reservations themselves.

On the destination server, make sure your scope is already created, and run the following command:

netsh exec C:\reserv.txt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Factory default IP is 10.90.90.90 subnet mask 255.0.0.0 from page 19 of ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DG...nual_v2.02.pdf

You may need to set a workstation to a static IP of 10.90.90.91 mask 255.0.0.0 or somethign like that to connect initially and the default password is admin.
    Thanks for that - I have three identical switches though - if the default is the same for all, how do I know which one I am talking to?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    As others have explained better than me witch, you can create a copy of your scope (the actual scope, its options, reservations and leases) into a text file, but not the database.

Then by creating a new blank database, you import the text file back into it. It's a bit complicated and I would happily do it for you, but I am literally miles and miles away!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's a bit complicated and I would happily do it for you
    Yes, I know you would - thanks.
    That's the thing though- working alone with a system that needs minimum 'down' time I can't be confident that I could manage to do it in one go as it were. I am certainly not stupid but not keen on meddling with things I don't really understand. I have ended up with trouble too many times to count - probably because to those who understand what they are doing the instructions mske sense, but to those of us who have never seen this stuff, they don't, or we are very good at misinterpreting them!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that - I have three identical switches though - if the default is the same for all, how do I know which one I am talking to?
    If you have three of those D-Link switches then you should use the SmartConsole Utility from the downloads page I posted earlier which will find all of them and let you configure them easier. You can tell which one you are talking to by the MAC address as this should be printed on the switch. It also gives you a layout of what is plugged in so you should be able to tell by comparing which ports are active. Depending on the switch it may also have an option to turn on a diagnostic light (on the switch) to show you which is which also.

I thought you only had one D-Link and two others, if so then the management bit is only for the D-Link one so there should be no confusion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I thought you only had one D-Link and two others, if so then the management bit is only for the D-Link one so there should be no confusion.
    You're right - I do - I am so confused. But I still think it is unlikely to be the D Link as it doesnt have anything much connected to it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You're right - I do - I am so confused. But I still think it is unlikely to be the D Link as it doesnt have anything much connected to it
    Yes, as long as the server is not connected to it and/or the other switches connecting through it, it is unlikely to be the cause of this issue.

Thank Post
    @Netman has given me some valuable help and has sorted out a couple of things on the server. Network guy coming in today to look at switches and test if poss - or at least explain to me how they are actually connected as I really can't see without disconnecting everything which wouldnt go down too well I don't think!
    Thanks for everything - I will be monitoring over the next few days to see if I still have an issue

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Has this been sorted now Witch? Curious to know the root cause of the problem!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123