+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Cry For HELP RMCC4.... in Technical; We have just taken over the running over a RMCC4 network which hasnt be maintained since 2008. I have major ...

Thank Post

Cry For HELP RMCC4....

We have just taken over the running over a RMCC4 network which hasnt be maintained since 2008. I have major issues with the network and no rm support contract. Can anyone give me some assistance?
    Thanks Kai

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First thing is to get a support contract, I would not run CCx without one.
    Other than that post your issues and see if we can help.

Thank Post
    Kai I suspect more schools in Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire are RM schools, try to contact them directly as well and I suspect them will come and help you firectly in person for no more cost then a brew and maybe a free lunch.

Thank Post
    RM CC4 not maintained since 2008 ? CC4 is only a year or 2 old ? are you sure it isnt CC3 ? Drop me a line I'll see what I can do to help you.

Thank Post
    Maybe he means they didnt run updates etc, or had no on site ICT team looking after the network etc.

Thank Post
    Possibly, the way I read it seems as though someone has updated to CC4 then disappeared, CC3 I have experience of but not CC4.... that's too new for me! but I was just also wondering whether the version was wrong and its 3 not 4, I suspect also that it must be 3 since we are in the 2003 thread, Kai if you need some help drop me a line I'll see what I can do!
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 28th March 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Thank Post
    CC4 was originally launched on Windows 2003 server platform, and it was released into the wild back in 2008.

If it's still one of the original installs I'm not shocked that you might have issues if it's not been maintained and brought upto CC4.2 spec's.
    First stop should be to find out how much RM will give you a support contract for, and how many updates are waiting to be deployed to it.

Thank Post
    Agree with all the above. CC4 shipped exclusively on 2K3 for around 2.5 years. CC4.3 on 2KR2 has been available for around 1.5 years. There's almost certainly more systems on the former than the latter. Personally I wouldn't want to touch unmaintained since 2008 with a barge pole. If you want to keep it then support is definitely required, as is a serious amount of time & effort to get it caught up (if time=money, then recommission to CC4.3 might be more cost efficieint)

Thank Post
    Again, Agreed with everyone else here, You will need alot of updates to be applied as well as possibly rebuilding EVERY computer within the network, you will need SR1 and SR2 as a minimum as well as a few other updates that are required for them two and possibly even CC4UPD001 if it was an early build. Can you post what updates are installed and the server build version. (PM me if you need help getting this) as that may give us a better indication.

As said above you will have alot of updating to do which is alot of time, Finally what are the main problems you appear to be having as we had an early version of CC4 so may be able to help where possible.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Original 2008 CC4 install?? (which was not fit for purpose) Half dead CC4 network? No RM Support contracts? Massive amount of work in order just to "stand still"?

Sounds like the ideal time to go vanilla and actually move forward to me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From having experience with this exact predicament (and still successfully running some older versions/migrations of CC4) I'd suggest looking at it from two angles.
    The first of which is that you'd like to stay with CC4. There is so much to do with it to get it up to scratch, that I really wouldn't suggest tackling it yourself. It would take too long to do it the safe way, make a change, backup, make the next change, backup etc, that it'd be more cost effective to get someone in (suggest RM, obviously) to do it for you and guarantee their work. If it goes wrong, the only responsibility on you is to inform RM to come fix it.

The second is merely what @AButters rightly said above. If perhaps it's not going to be feasible, or even wanted (perhaps vet some of the users of the network on their thoughts) to remain with CC4, then use it as a launchpad forwards. However, removing CC4 and the relevant costs of it will also remove the client access licenses I believe (but please check beforehand). So moving to something else may incur larger costs than you originally thought. Server itself is nothing (what, 70 quid for 2008 R2?) and CAL's will be very little but if you have a lot of PC's it may be a budget you don't have.

Speak to your senior staff and see how they'd like to move forward, if they're unaware then use the time to explain the difficulties involved in running it in it's current state. Obviously worth mentioning when support for XP ceases and that really, this Summer is the best time possibly to make any severe changes.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 3rd April 2012 at 02:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Yep. Both quite difficult choices. Both involve a lot of hard work.

RE: Licencing. Provided you actually own the RM Licences (i.e you purchased them outright, or if leased through RM have finished paying for the lease) then you can transfer the Microsoft licences from RM to either the LEA (what we do) or to the School directly.

RM will kick up a fuss, probably tell you it can't be done - but there is nothing they can do providing you own the RM licences. Once you submit the request in writing to RM they have to honour it. If they refuse - get MS involved directly that tends to do the trick. This only applies to Microsoft CALs etc though - RM software such as Tutor 3/4 is a different kettle of fish.

Thank Post
    Hi Kai

I was in exactly the same position when I started here last year - CC4 installed but no maintenance done for a year, printer settings dropping, login profiles screwing up etc etc.

However, unlike you we DID have an RM support contract and as soon as I made a few calls to them it started to become clear what needed to be done. It took me 6 months of work to install all the updates, RM Virus Protect, WSUS, and many other missing components, but they did help every step of the way and now we have an completely up to date CC4 (on 2003) which runs very smoothly.

I would recommend a complete and thorough review of hardware, software and budgets (including who will be doing the maintenance and if they have relevant skills) before deciding which way to go. And I wouldn't recommend sticking with CC4 without a support contract.

I'm happy to try to answer any CC4 questions you have in the meantime.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the help guys,
    We have had our RM account manager out to us and we have moved our support contract onto the site which hasnt been supported because it was (still) in a bad state of repair. We have thrown in excess of 50 updates at it so far which includes SR2. Only problem is now i cant manage my SR1 machines and cant rebuild them because the build process has packed up. RM are being quite good so far though and looking into it for us.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's usually down to a few things that changed in SR2, PXE/WDS didn't change but it's worth checking the WDS service is running, if that's how you're building. If using CD/USB stick then make sure the build images are all up to date.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast