+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, network location cannot be reached - 2003 standard in Technical; Hi Guys Having a weird old problem with a few laptops and pc's. We have a windows server (2003 standard) ...
    Thank Post

network location cannot be reached - 2003 standard

Hi Guys

Having a weird old problem with a few laptops and pc's.

We have a windows server (2003 standard) located in the heads office. On this server are a couple of shares, specifically a share titled MSI for all installation packages, and sophosupdate for our where clients download updates to their anti virus.

For some reason, all the pc's located in our IT room can find these shares fine. laptops from classes (6 laptops) and the only office machine we have cannot get access to them, although they can ping and see the server by going to \\server

When i browse to these shares i get the following error:

\\server\msi is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The network location cannot be reached.

Same for sophos update, but as mentioned, all the pc's in the ict room can see these shares fine and access them fine. I have checked permissions, ive even gone so far as to allow everyone access to the sophosupdate share to test to see if its a permissions issue.

Wondering where else the issue could lay as ive hit a wall at the mo so any help is much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Are the PC's in a different group ? and have you given said group permissions ?

Thank Post
    in regards to organizational units, yes they are in a different group, but they are not denied any access to those shares regardless of pc the user is on.

so for instance, everyone has read access to the sophosupdate share as, as mentioned in op, all machines pull down the updates that are placed in there by the server. On the ict machines, this works fine, however the laptops and 1 office machine dont seem to like the share

edit: i also creatred a secondary update share for the AV but the machines mentioned also dont like that share either.

Thank Post
    I remember a problem that I couldn't shutdown computers remotely because of windows firewall. That is one place you can look. Another option if it is possible is reimage the machine which is the easy way out. But that option doesn't work for some IT networks.

Thank Post
    HI

Have you checked the time/date/location on the pcs and the server are the same. If the it is more than 5 mins out kerberos does not work.

Richard

6. Thanks to ricki from:

Bluetooth (18th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Hey

Thanks for getting back to me. Ive checked firewalls on the machines and the settings seem fine, tried it off and on with exceptions, both have the same result.

The time and date thing could be a possibility, will give it a check sometime today =-)

Thanks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread