+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Desktop Shortcut via redirected folder? in Technical; This is probably a daft question - forgive me, it's been a very long day.. I need to put a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts

Desktop Shortcut via redirected folder?

This is probably a daft question - forgive me, it's been a very long day..
    I need to put a shortcut to the PASS website on the staff and student desktop
    Normally I drop the shortcut in the 'redirected folders' folder
    BUT all the others are shortcuts to programs on the server.
    I created a shortcut to the webpage but it doesnt work.
    What havent I done? Or does it have to be somewhere else as it is a shortcut to a website?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It should work. Does the link work before you drop it into the directed folder?

Is the shortcut file .URL format?

What happens when you try and open it?

Thank Post
    What do you mean by it doesnt work... what does it do?

Thank Post
    Sorry, told you I was tired.
    It doesnt appear at all
    I can click on the shortcut that I dropped in the redirected folder and it works from there

Is there a special way to create the shortcut that I am missing?

Thank Post
    Create it on your desktop as you would and copy that over to the said folder and see if it works.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    Create it on your desktop as you would and copy that over to the said folder and see if it works.
    I 'think' that is what I did but i will try again tomorrow

Thank Post
    Well here we are a few weeks on and I still have the same issue - only now I have two internet shortcuts that don't work.
    I did create it on the desktop -but still doesnt work.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Maybe I'm not creating the shortcut properly - can't see how - but can someone tell me how to do it and I will see if I am doing it the same! (*bit of straw clutching going on here now*)
    Last edited by witch; 17th April 2012 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you upload the shortcut file so we can have a look? You will probably have to zip it.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Can you not add the urls to the favourites using group policy. Thats how I did it when we used it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Can you not add the urls to the favourites using group policy. Thats how I did it when we used it.
    No, the teachers want a icon to click on the desktop - not that you can see it amongt all the others that are there - they wont even let me put them in program files by topic or subject.

I will try and zip it up when I get back to that school

Thank Post
    I find this very funny. Guys it not the shortcut is the problem is where it is being placed. It all depends on what kind of network structure you have. For example do you use mandatory profile, then you can place that shortcut on desktop on that profile and it get to every teacher. Another thing what kind of desktop folder redirection you use. That is another important question because I use Folder Redirection where each user have their own desktop redirected. I hope that helps. I am more than happy to supply more areas to look at.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickv View Post
    I find this very funny. Guys it not the shortcut is the problem is where it is being placed. It all depends on what kind of network structure you have. For example do you use mandatory profile, then you can place that shortcut on desktop on that profile and it get to every teacher. Another thing what kind of desktop folder redirection you use. That is another important question because I use Folder Redirection where each user have their own desktop redirected. I hope that helps. I am more than happy to supply more areas to look at.
    You have missed the point. Its the actual shortcuts that dont work. Not where they are placed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You have missed the point. Its the actual shortcuts that dont work. Not where they are placed.
    "It doesnt appear at all"
    "I can click on the shortcut that I dropped in the redirected folder and it works from there"

Which to me says that the students / teachers are not getting the shortcut on their desktop but she can run the shortcut if she opens it directly (unc /mapped drive?)

It could be in the wrong place; I once put a shorcut in what I thought was the correct share on a network that I wasnt familiar with (all the other shorcuts seemed to be there) needless to say it didn't work correctly and caused problems i.e. workstations started to crash I've no idea why or how it had been configured. Also we have multiple redirected desktops i.e. staff get one, early years get another, then KS1/KS2 and a limited one for guests etc... so it is worth double checking.

**The shortcut could have the wrong permissions i.e. only domain admins can read / execute it.** - I would check this first

One more copy paste error I've seen is where someone has made a shortcut on a workstation to a new app and instead of it pointing to say c:\mynewapp\exe_name it picked up the unc path somehow so all the PCs were trying to run the app on the workstation that was used to create the shortcut i.e. \\pcname\c:\mynewapp\exe_name

Could there be any security permissions set somewhere?
    Could offline files be caching the desktop somehow and its not picked up the new shortcut yet?
    You are logging off / back on or rebooting the workstation you are using for testing after putting the shortcut on the server arent you?

If its a vanilla network it should work, I've got a shortcut for testbase online on our redirected staff desktops and never had a problem (XP/ 2003 Svrs) but if its running any form of desktop management software all bets are off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickv View Post
    I find this very funny. Guys it not the shortcut is the problem is where it is being placed. .
    No need to be sarky @Patrickv - I know exactly what kind of network structure I have y'know - I know exactly what is redirected to where and I KNOW that the shortcuts should work when dropped into my "redirected folders" folder which contains folders for pupils and staff, and within that, desktop and start menu.
    It is the correct place, as I have said, so no, you are wrong with your conclusion but I am so pleased to have amused you.
    Last edited by witch; 18th April 2012 at 10:20 PM.

15. Thanks to witch from:

FN-GM (18th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    No need to be sarky @Patrickv - I know exactly what kind of network structure I have y'know - I know exactly what is redirected to where and I KNOW that the shortcuts should work when dropped into my "redirected folders" folder which contains folders for pupils and staff, and within that, desktop and start menu.
    It is the correct place, as I have said, so no, you are wrong with your conclusion but I am so pleased to have amused you.
    Sorry.

17. Thanks to Patrickv from:

witch (19th April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast