+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, WSUS client GPO config question in Technical; I've just setup my first WSUS server and I'm configuring a client workgroup to test everything is setup ok but ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question WSUS client GPO config question

I've just setup my first WSUS server and I'm configuring a client workgroup to test everything is setup ok but I have a couple of questions and I would be greatful if anyone could fill me in about the recommended configuration.

On the clients if I enable the 'Configure Automatic Updates' will the client still try to use Microsoft updates over the internet rather then our WSUS server? The description in GPO console makes it sound like it would.

When clients attempt to connect to the WSUS server will the computer try to use the proxy settings defined as a few clients on our network still have the computer defined policy as our old and now removed cachepilot, an easy fix just changing this to our smoothwall but just checking as some on the server are having a few hundred updates as 'no status'

Thanks

Thank Post
    you configure the client with the location of the wsus server, if this is a domain then you can gonfigure a gp to do this for you. You can also use a security setting to allow machines to go to ms update or not go to ms update.

proxy should not matter as you are talking on a tcp level to the wsus server

3. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

bondbill2k2 (5th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks MC, It is a domain enviroment and I have set the WSUS server for downloading and status update information, I was just wondering if the 'Configure Automatic Updates' beign enabled would effect the location settings, I have disabled the option of collecting updates from Microsoft Updates and I wondered about the proxy as if the computer is trying to use a none exitent proxy doesn't the update service use ISS for communication and would fail due to this proxy as its not set to bypass for local addresses.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread