+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, FIXED! Server Woes. =D in Technical; Hi everyone! I'm still learning a lot, about everything here - so perhaps if you know of any good books ...
    Thank Post

FIXED! Server Woes. =D

Hi everyone!

I'm still learning a lot, about everything here - so perhaps if you know of any good books to read on the subject, or websites I'd be grateful!

Basically, we have a server which is managed outside of school by the LEA. We used to have control over the AD, however now we do not - and the Head Teacher here is keen on keeping it that way to protect us 'should it all go wrong'.

What I do have is a second server, which is all ours. At the moment we have a door security program on there, and the wonderful SuccessMaker, although we do have trouble with that alone, and the pupils are required to Map the drive that it's on (using a script, we don't expect them to do that themselves) before they can use the software.

I've been working on trying to make everything run much more smoothly, and coming up a myriad of problems, including Microsoft Update! Which is an amazing tool, but the time that it's been taking to update one computer alone is driving me slowly insane. So, I had a look and found out about Remote Server SQL, and then started wondering about how to use that, and then started thinking about whether I could use Spiceworks (for their error reporting, too! People in our school are afraid to write things down and hand them to me it would seem.)

I suppose, what I'm asking is if anyone has any suggestions, has had to do something similar before, or can offer and advice and help on the matter! What do I need to do to make the two servers work together well, is it feasible, and worth the time to do it?

Thanks!

~Ollie.
    Last edited by Olliegami; 1st November 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Problem Fixed. Sort of.

Thank Post
    Hi,

What is it that you actually want to accomplish? Also what roles does the LEA server take on? Many schools have a local LEA web cache which shouldn't be touched.

Also what kind of specification are we talking about in your existing server and are you a Primary/Secondary?

James

3. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Olliegami (1st November 2011)

Thank Post
    Hey,

I suppose specifically I want to be able to deploy Windows updates using the WSUS program. It looked like the answer to spending hours using up bandwidth to download Windows Updates on new computers - which I'm doing a lot of at the moment, but I'm aware that if I can get the two 'talking' then I could do a lot more.

The LEA server is doing everything we need it to for use in the school. We have files on there, user home drives, users profiles. Not sure if there's a web cache.

Both servers run 2003 as far as I'm aware - at least I know our 'second' server is running 2003. (All our computers are running XP) We're a special school, and have about 200 pupils.

Thank Post
    Unless you have control over group policy getting the clients to use your wsus server may prove awkward. It can be done with scripts at start up but these may be awkward to apply to all your machines without group policy also.

6. Thanks to cromertech from:

Thank Post
    Wsus is great, but best used with Group policy. If your AD is controlled elsewhere speak to them about setting up a GP for it, You'll only need a entry spec server for wsus.

8. Thanks to strawberry from:

Thank Post
    Speak to your LEA - if your internet is provided by them it will be to both your and their advantage to use central WSUS.

The installation/setup is fairly simple and you could do the inital install and they can finish it off setting up the GPOs.

10. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Thank Post
    Thank you so much for your help!

I've spoken to our headmaster after the comments everyone has left and he's agreed to take some action in the form of liaising with the LEA so that we can get going with something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread