+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Completely stumped with a 2003 profiles problem in Technical; Hi, Here's a noodlescratcher for you all. I've recently inherited a system that, at best,, is in need of a ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Completely stumped with a 2003 profiles problem

Hi,

Here's a noodlescratcher for you all.

I've recently inherited a system that, at best,, is in need of a little TLC. It seems the previous NM had a hatred of not only his job, but also children and teachers, so inflicted his hatred by letting the place fall dow around his head. Luckily, he's now gone, but my technician and I have been left to pick up the pieces.

Anyway, woe is me story over, I just can't get my head around this problem we're having when creating new user accounts manually in AD. As the year progresses, we get new students popping up from other sixth forms whom require accounts set up. So far so good, however, recently new accounts have been set up, yet the correct local profile fails to load on login. We copy the accounts over from existing sixth form accounts, set them to prompt to change password on first login, and bam, no profile is loaded. There is usually nothing in the event logs, and i've checked various permissions of local and network profile folders which seem OK.

The next weird thing is, if we set up the accounts NOT to prompt to change password on first login, they load up fine - profile and all. I just can't see the link between creating the profile on first login, and prompting to change password on first login, and why the latter seems to be interfering.

We're still Server 2003, and I'd be the first to admit our setup is far from ideal. It's not a problem in GP as all new accounts should be sharing the same policy settings as existing ones.

Maybe someone has had this issue before, or can offer any wisdom?

THanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @basicchannel:

It seems as if the GPO for changing password on first login is either not being applied or the script that is linked to the GPO is not working, this is verified by the fact when you don't set the profile to change password on first login it succeeds to create the profile for that user just fine.

Look at the GPO and see if it has become corrupted or if the script that is linked to it is doing what it should or is even there.

Good luck

Thank Post
    i bet they get the correct profile on 2nd login after changing password?

I believe this is down to the "wait for network before logging in " GPO setting , if the user changes their password maybe its too busy changing the password than to pull down the profile.

4. Thanks to andydis from:

bossman (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    i bet they get the correct profile on 2nd login after changing password?

yes, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    I believe this is down to the "wait for network before logging in " GPO setting , if the user changes their password maybe its too busy changing the password than to pull down the profile.
    I checked the GPO setting and it wasn't enabled.

Thanks to both of you for your help so far. I should add that I am very much in the 'learning network manager' category.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bet your machines have SP3 on them. I have seen the crop up on here before. It's a bug that seems to have come with SP3. To be honest I am not sure how to fix it as I have never needed to.

7. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I bet your machines have SP3 on them. I have seen the crop up on here before. It's a bug that seems to have come with SP3. To be honest I am not sure how to fix it as I have never needed to.
    I think FN-GM may be right I've experienced a similar issue when users have been forced to change password using SP3.

This may help
    When you try to log on to a Windows XP SP3-based computer by using a roaming profile, the roaming profile cannot load.

Apply fix KB958058 to a workstation and see if that resolves it.

Kili

9. Thanks to kili from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @basicchannel:

Not having XP on my clients I had to go off the information you had posted, apologies if this has led you to a different route, having not seen this I have to err on what the other lads have posted and not just using a logical prognosis to come to an answer.

Well done you lads

Thank Post
    If you haven't already, in active directory if you bring up the user properties box, click on the "Profile" tab and ensure that the correct login type is being used and the home directory and the profile directory are correct. This happens every once in a while with the computers I work on and this is normally the case. Sorry if it is too late, i understand a year has past.

12. Thanks to itgaz from:

speckytecky (8th August 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread