+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Event ID 16 AutoEnrollment errors, since CA was removed in Technical; "Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to renew one Domain Controller certificate (0x800706ba). The RPC server is unavailable." In ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Event ID 16 AutoEnrollment errors, since CA was removed

"Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to renew one Domain Controller certificate (0x800706ba). The RPC server is unavailable."

In the new school I'm in, the network used to be part of a managed service, with a central data centre etc...

At the end of the managed service, the company stuck in 2 new servers as forest root controllers, which are clones of the ones they had at the datacentre (they did this for each school).

Now that I have taken over, I'm trying to tidy things up and get my head around things.

In our event logs, we are receiving a lot of the events mentioned in the title.

The thing is, the CA that issued those certificates doesn't exist any more as far as I know. Can someone point me in the right direction to fixing this?

We're also getting Event ID 13 messages along similar lines.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Step 9 from here plus possibly the rest of it.
    How to decommission a Windows enterprise certification authority and how to remove all related objects from Windows Server 2003 and from Windows Server 2000
    Step 9: Clean up domain controllers

After the CA is uninstalled, the certificates that were issued to domain controllers must be removed.

To remove certificates that were issued to the Windows Server 2000 domain controllers, use the Dsstore.exe utility from the Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit.

To remove certificates that have been issued to the Windows Server 2000 domain controllers, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    2. On a domain controller, type dsstore -dcmon at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type 3, and then press ENTER. This action deletes all certificates on all domain controllers.

Note The Dsstore.exe utility will try to validate domain controller certificates that are issued to each domain controller. Certificates that do not validate are removed from their respective domain controller.
    To remove certificates that were issued to the Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, follow these steps.

Important Do not use this procedure if you are using certificates that are based on version 1 domain controller templates.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    2. At the command prompt on a domain controller, type certutil -dcinfo deleteBad.
    How to remove manually Enterprise Windows Certificate Authority from Windows 2000/2003 Domain

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread