+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Query RE DHCP servers in Technical; Hi There, I have a networking question on a Windows 2003 setup. I have a server that I wish to ...

Thank Post

Query RE DHCP servers

Hi There,

I have a networking question on a Windows 2003 setup. I have a server that I wish to put on a small network. That network is currently recieving it's DHCP via the internet Router/Switch on a class C IP range.
    What I want to do is create a seperate range for a limited number of computers to put them on a seperate Ip scope. The purpose of this is to create a classroom enviroment for these computers and disconnect them from the other network. I know this won't stop them accessing it if they were determined enough, however it will make it harder to find said network.

So what I wanted to do was put this W2k3 server online as a DHCP server on this seperate scope. The pc itself have 2 network cards which I can configured for the 2 seperate scopes, but is there any way I can put this online without some of the other computers pulling an IP address from the W2k3 server instead of the Router?

I mean apart from manually configuring all the PC's IP addresses that is.

Thanks

Thank Post
    If its only small i would just do em manual

Otherwise you can set reservations based apon MAC

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No matter what you do it's going to involve manual configuration, but your best bet would be to create reservations on the DHCP server for each of the PCs you want it to issue IP addresses to, and then ensure that anything outside that set of IPs is in an exclusion range. It'll only issue to the PCs where it has a reservation, and ignore DHCP requests from anything else.

Of course that won't prevent them picking up IP addresses from the router itself. It might be easier, depending on the quality of your router, to set up a separate DHCP range on there and create appropriate reservations and exclusions.

Thank Post
    If its only small i would just do em manual

Otherwise you can set reservations based apon MAC

Thank Post
    Thanks all. Thats pretty much alone the lines as what I thought I would have to do.

So if I leave the DHCP running for the majority of the network. Then just manually configure the classroom computers on the seperate IP scope and use the 2k3 server as the proxy with it's second network card configured for the router netowork.

Otherwise, there isn't any other way for me to setup DHCP for the classroom computers without the rest of the network seeing it and getting an IP address from it right?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phreak View Post
    Otherwise, there isn't any other way for me to setup DHCP for the classroom computers without the rest of the network seeing it and getting an IP address from it right?
    Right - DHCP is designed to hand out IP addresses freely. It wouldn't be particularly useful otherwise. Reservations are about the best that could be managed.

Thank Post
    Just out of curiosity (I may have missed something) but why does your router dish out IP addresses and not a DHCP server anyway? Surely it be better to have DHCP handled by a server and stop the router from dishing out addresses? That way things would be more flexible and controllable.

Thank Post
    A good way to collect your MACs is with LanView (If installed), goto "Known Workstations" and you can export a list of workstaion name and MAC
    Helped me when I was setting up WOL

Thank Post
    You can bind dhcp to a nic. This means any requests for addresses coming in on that card. (in your case the small room) will be issued an ip, anything trying to request an address on the card hooked up to your main network will be ignored by this dhcp server and will get an address from your router.

Any help needed with this just ask

Nick

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread