+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Logon Script Issues in Technical; Morning all We seem to be experiencing some issues with the processing on logon scripts for our domain and it's ...
    Thank Post

Logon Script Issues

Morning all

We seem to be experiencing some issues with the processing on logon scripts for our domain and it's got me scratching my head as I can figure out what's causing it.

We have a 2003 domain with XP SP3 clients, all clients were imaged with FOG over the summer holidays and added to the domain.

Once added to the domain all workstations get the AV Software via group policy which worked fine. We have user based group policies to lock down IE, hide mapped drives and configure document redirection all these work fine.

Computer based policies that set the logon dialog box, WSUS and to deny student logon all work too.

However the computer scripts configured to run startup scripts aren't running at all even though it says the policy has been applied when I run gpresult on client. We have one which updates the local start menu and the other makes staff administrators of their machines non of these scripts are working and there is nothing reported in the Event Viewer of the client.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing the issue?

I'm about to create a test OU and see if any of the policies are conflicting with each other but I doubt that will be the case as I haven't modified any of the policies this year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Sorry not an answer but just to say I have a similar problem with Windows 2008 R2 domain and XP SP3 clients. 2 Suites imaged over the summer will not run user based group policy that contains our logon script. Thread is here :Certain Group Policy not applying

I wonder if we have the same issue?

Thank Post
    there is a registry setting that is needed on Windows xp to allow scripts to run. Can't remmeber which one and I am going to the cricket now.

Thank Post
    had a brief read of your post .

Im assuming its Computer based scripts that are not working ? Have you enabled loopback processing ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    had a brief read of your post .

Im assuming its Computer based scripts that are not working ? Have you enabled loopback processing ?
    Thats right it Computer based scripts we are having issues with all of which run at Startup.

I'm pretty sure we have loopback processing enabled as this is the same setup we had last year and everything was working fine.

I've just done some more checking and it seems that the computer based scripts can be ran locally on the machine once logged on they just don't seem to want to run on startup even though the gpresult output says they have been applied.

What's even more strange is that it seems to be only affecting staff machines too!!! All our curriculum machines run their computer based scripts on startup without any issues all the machines were imaged the same way and pretty much have the same software installed on them too.

Thank Post
    Are all the admin Machines Wired or Wireless ? ( if wireless make sure you are using windows to manage the connection)

what does the startup scripts do out of intrest?

Make sure in the PC OU's there is no user based scripts , only computer based as this can cause problems.

regards
    luke

Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    Thats right it Computer based scripts we are having issues with all of which run at Startup.

I'm pretty sure we have loopback processing enabled as this is the same setup we had last year and everything was working fine.

I've just done some more checking and it seems that the computer based scripts can be ran locally on the machine once logged on they just don't seem to want to run on startup even though the gpresult output says they have been applied.

What's even more strange is that it seems to be only affecting staff machines too!!! All our curriculum machines run their computer based scripts on startup without any issues all the machines were imaged the same way and pretty much have the same software installed on them too.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Sounds like you are using 2008 R2 policies. Have you got the XP SP3 client Extensions installed on the clients

Thank Post
    Nobody's been messing with AD OU structure have they? If loopback is enabled then make sure the staff/admin machines have the same policy links as pupil ones, bar specific lockdown/mapped drives etc etc

Thank Post
    This will fix it, create a reg file with this, it might take a reboot or too to get sorted, also make sure to configure the wait for network option startup

indows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnabledLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

Thank Post
    Not sure if this will help you but we had a problem with some fujitsu's here where startup scripts wasnt being applied.

It was something to do with the network card , and i changed something in the registry !

i will find out what it was .. But it was a pain in the but to find , considering these machines were brand new !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread