+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Backing up email boxes using Outlook 2010 and exmerge in Technical; I am currently in the process of trying to backup all our students email boxes if they have just left. ...
    Thank Post

Backing up email boxes using Outlook 2010 and exmerge

I am currently in the process of trying to backup all our students email boxes if they have just left. I have tried it using both the manual method (connect to individual mailboxes in Outlook 2010) and also the exmerge utility. Neither of them work

Exchange Server 2003 SP2

Outlook 2010

The machine is XP Pro SP3.

I have tried logging on as myself (an admin) and also as a last resort the built in administrator account. Neither of these work.

Whenever I try and expand the newly added mailboxes outlook hangs and then says "These set of folders could not be opened, exchnage server is offline or down for maintainence". I have re-enabled the student account to ensure that this is not the problem. This did not resolve it

Do I have to wait for exchange to sync before trying to access the mailbox of a recently enabled user?

Exmerge

This is my first attempt with exmerge. I have always avoided it in the past.

I have tried this both as myself and administrator and also on my xp pro machine (with the exchange tools installed) and directly on the exchange server. They both come back with the same result.

the exmerge log extract is below

Code:
    Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)
    [11:56:35] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox '********' ('******').
    I have tried multiple mailboxes and they all come back with the same error.
    I have checked the permissions in systems manager and both the administrator and myself have full access to the database.

Its becoming quote frustrating as I can't for the life of me understand why neither methods work. I am sure its something simple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you not have any backup system/software backing up Exchange? If you do it would proberbly be esiest to use that instead, especially if it has the ability to dump onto disk rather than tape. If you don't, get some because you really do need to back up Exchange!!
    As for your orgional query, sorry I can't offer any help there.

Thank Post
    We currently use NT Backup for all our data and email database. My line manager wants a individual backup aswell as the daily ntbackup, hence the Exmerge attempt.

Thank Post
    1. Which ver on Exch? Include SP level and rollup?
    2. What OS is it sitting on?
    3. Have you given your self full mailbox access to the ex-students accounts?
    4. If yes, create a new dedicated account for exmerger, priveledge account will have deny access to mailboxes even if set, depending on how exch is configured.
    5. Exch also cachespermission, for immediate effect, restart the IS service or be dismount/mount the store. Note there will be an outage for this.

Thank Post
    1. Which ver on Exch? Include SP level and rollup?

exchnage information store version 6.5.7638.1

2. What OS is it sitting on?
    Server 2003 Standard edition Sp2 (Server)
    Xp Professional SP3 (my machine)

3. Have you given your self full mailbox access to the ex-students accounts?
    Yes

4. If yes, create a new dedicated account for exmerger, priveledge account will have deny access to mailboxes even if set, depending on how exch is configured.

5. Exch also cachespermission, for immediate effect, restart the IS service or be dismount/mount the store. Note there will be an outage for this

I have unticked use cached mode in outlook 2010

After further reading on forums it appears that disconnecting the mailbox and then reconnecting it fixes the problem. However I dont really want to do this for all the mailboxes.

Thank Post
    Point 5. I'm not talkning about cache mode, im talking about Exch server caches permissions. So - for immediate effect, restart the IS service or be dismount/mount the store. Note there will be an outage for this!

Thank Post
    Hello There,
    The way mentioned here in the forums is very good but I don't know why I failed to create backup. Though I used inbuilt tool of Outlook but it couldn't work for me. Then I discovered a software that helped me out to backup outlook 2003 emails. The software returned me the healthy PST file and made me safe from email loss. Later, due to virus attack I lost my PST file but thanks to the software that I was having the back up file. If anyone wants to create back up then can download this software.

Regards
    Linda Briliance
    Last edited by lindabrilance; 30th January 2013 at 11:57 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread