+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Adding a server to domain and replication in Technical; Hi all! In really basic terms, step by step if possible, could you help me to add an extra 2003 ...
    Thank Post

Question Adding a server to domain and replication

Hi all!

In really basic terms, step by step if possible, could you help me to add an extra 2003 server to our existing 2003 domain to be used as a backup server / replication server?

I would be very grateful

Also- roughly how long it would take as I am on a tight schedule and would be interested to know if I could do it in time.

Warmest Wishes,
    Jay
    xxx

Thank Post
    Just domain join the server add the AD roles to it run the AD setup and boom thatll be it replicating away.
    If you are a Primary (I take that from your display name) I wouldn't say any more than 2 hours from start to finish.

Personaly though if you can break away from Server 2003 and go with 2008 R2 - it will add an extra step (AD prep) but might as well take advantage of the newer tech.

3. Thanks to jamesfed from:

marsdenprimary (22nd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Just domain join the server add the AD roles to it run the AD setup and boom thatll be it replicating away.
    If you are a Primary (I take that from your display name) I wouldn't say any more than 2 hours from start to finish.
    What about folder shares etc...though? I really need it to be backing up the folders and files too as I want to use it primarily as a means of backing up staff work (as our backup drive has decided to fail in time for the holidays!!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could us DFS-R to enable folder replication. The amount of time it takes is very dependent on the amount of data in place. Implementing DFS Replication

However, note that this won't be a backup, it'll be an exact copy. Won't save you if someone deletes something they need.

Thank Post
    As said above DFS is the best way to go but if that looks good to you then seriously consider going Server 2008 R2 (or at least 2008) as it makes things a whole lot simpler.

You might also want to take the time to look into the Volume Snapshot service which offers quick on the fly restores of data (but doesn’t do 'system state' backups).

Finally what do you run for backups at the moment?

7. Thanks to jamesfed from:

ful56_uk (24th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Sorry for hijacking your thread marsdenprimary but i would like to clarify a few things here. I am also going to be going down this route of creating a Backup DC configured with DFS and Namespacing with the idea that if one server was to go down my end users would not notice a difference.

Just to clarify if i was to run dc promo and add a secondary server i would expect automatic replication of AD/GP/Sysvol folders, is this correct? As long as i dont place a RODC i will also be able to edit AD from either server? My second point is regarding the FSMO roles and their placement. Should i be leaving these on one server or splitting them between the two? Finally, is there anything else i havnt thought about and need to take into account before completing this task? Thanking in advanced, Steve.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_T View Post
    Sorry for hijacking your thread marsdenprimary but i would like to clarify a few things here. I am also going to be going down this route of creating a Backup DC configured with DFS and Namespacing with the idea that if one server was to go down my end users would not notice a difference.

Just to clarify if i was to run dc promo and add a secondary server i would expect automatic replication of AD/GP/Sysvol folders, is this correct? As long as i dont place a RODC i will also be able to edit AD from either server? My second point is regarding the FSMO roles and their placement. Should i be leaving these on one server or splitting them between the two? Finally, is there anything else i havnt thought about and need to take into account before completing this task? Thanking in advanced, Steve.
    Yes aslong as the promotion is successfuly it will automatically replicate ad/gp/sysvol. You are then able to administer AD from any computer with the server administration back (adminpak.msi of 2003/xp). I would leave the FSMO roles on the one server as they can be stolen if the server with the roles fails.

As mentioned above DFS is not something to be used instead of a proper Disaster recovery plan. It will simple replicate the data across both servers. But move of something as an High Availability tool (which is what i think you want to use)

Thank Post
    Lovely, just the info i needed, thanks. The DFS via namespacing is just to offer me a little downtime coverage backups to replicating qnap's will be taking place.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_T View Post
    Lovely, just the info i needed, thanks. The DFS via namespacing is just to offer me a little downtime coverage backups to replicating qnap's will be taking place.
    One thing to note is that when the promotion finish's the new dc won't straight away be published as a DC (i.e no sysvol/netlogin share) - it can take a few mins depending on how big the sysvol share is. You will get a notice in the event log saying its now published.

12. Thanks to glennda from:

Steve_T (24th July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread