+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, This one's doing my nut! Folder Redirects in Technical; I've been playing around with shares on the windows 2003 DC. Basically I wanted to hide the TeacherData share that ...

Thank Post

This one's doing my nut! Folder Redirects

I've been playing around with shares on the windows 2003 DC. Basically I wanted to hide the TeacherData share that contains all the Staff's profiles. To do this I renamed the share TeacherData$, therefore hiding the share. I knew it wouldn't be an issue because folder redirection isn't setup (although it once was)

Now, I've checked and double (triple) checked that I don't have folder redirection set up for staff. i.e a staff member's profile is not set to redirect for either my docs, app data, start menu, etc.

I've checked GPs also to see if there is a GP setup to redirect staff folders; but nothing.

So the problem came when I had a member of staff come upto me with her desktop missing, no access to My Documents, etc. It was as if her profile was been redirected to TeacherData (which it was) despite there been no obvious redirects setup.

I've changed TeacherData$ back to TeacherData and it has of course solved the issue, but it's doing my nut as to where the redirect is setup!

What the hell am I missing??

Thank Post
    It's not a left over in the NTUser.dat on the local machine is it? As you said redirects were once set up, it could be holding onto it within her local profile on the machine. Try deleting her local profile (or getting her to log onto another PC she hasn't used before) to get it to force a new .dat file.

Long shot, but its the only thing that comes to mind atm.

Thank Post
    Yeh, thanks.

I have however tried her on a PC she hasn't used before - no joy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They getting a default profile which is specified in active directory?

Thank Post
    Hi,

I'd be interested to know if you're using any mandatory or roaming profiles?

Might be worth opening the user.dat file for the user from their local profile and checking the following location in the registry...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

If you logon as the user and run SET from a command line - can you see anything that uses the Staff share?

Have you tried running Resultant Set of Policies on the user from Active Directory?

Dave
    CENTREL Solutions

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread