+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Enabling folder redirection - any caveats? in Technical; I've finally got some time to go about speeding up our network. One way of doing this is going to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries

Enabling folder redirection - any caveats?

I've finally got some time to go about speeding up our network.

One way of doing this is going to be to use Folder Redirection for My Documents, Desktop and Application Data.

Now, I have a basic idea of this process but need to ensure that when I do it, it will be smooth and seamless to users.

So, if I enable folder redirection, can someone answer the following for me:

1. Will the files in their redirected folders be available offline for when they go outside school with their laptops?
    2. Will the system move files from their existing roaming profiles to the new redirected location, or will I have to manually do this?
    3. Anything else I should know...

Thank Post
    Redirected folders: If you have the folders redirected via GPO based on the individuals user name etc then it does become available as an offline file so that staff can access with their laptops etc. In terms of the moving, generally it does it all for you, but if you get an impatient member of staff, you might find it half done with a hard boot done, so my advise, tell the staff that you're doing this and that they may find login/logoff time are a little extended whilst the system settles itself.

The other bonus of this of course if that if they log onto another computer in the school that they should be able to access all their files (that's more the reason I went for this option).

The only other things you should know are the permissions, generally you can set it so that staff have explicit access to it and write into your AUP that this is the case unless asked by SLT/SMT to look into their folder, but they you get into the taking ownership side of things and then making sure you replace the ownership afterwards. Iv'e got round this by having it accessible to admin by default as well as the staff, but it's written in that this won't be abused etc, but actually comes in useful when staff go "can you help me find this file .. it was there" etc

If you're using 2008 / W7, you can also go down the route of using the redirection for things such as Favourites too, which is a delight for the staff to find that they can pretty much access everything on different machines here.

The only issue I've ever had has been when a member of staff has been working on various files using their USB to transfer it between their staff laptop they leave at home all the time and the school computers as then the system can get a little confused as to which version of a file to save on the server etc, but this is easily resolved using the Sync Centre.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're using Windows 2003 R2 and XP (hence the forum I posted in).

I don't understand what you're trying to say about permissions?

Also, you say that things are a bonus as they can get access to them on any machine - this is the case with their existing roaming profiles as it is. The issue is using roaming profiles and redirection together.

Thank Post
    make usre you exclude my music.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    make usre you exclude my music.
    Why? If I want to reduce the amount of files copying back and forth on login to new machines, surely I specifically want that included?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Why would this speed things up?
    by splitting the roaming profile data on to different servers?

Thank Post
    Roaming profiles + redirection here, anything redirected can still be made available offline as normal, had no problems with doing so.

The way I have it set here is that in AD for each user a mapped drive (U:\) is pointed to \\FileServer\Staff\%username% where anyone who is a member of the "Staff" group in AD can access the \\server\Staff folder and then only the individual %username% and myself as Administrator can access the individual folders.

My Documents folders are then just pointed at U:\ within the profiles. No issues with anything being available offline, been running smoothly for nearly 4 years this way now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Because, the files would not sync during login, but after login. So, initial login would be significantly faster. ie. if someone has a profile which is hitting 500Mb, that entire lot is copied to a machine when they log in. If 475Mb of that is put in redirected folders, only 25Mb needs to be downloaded on login, and the rest is available on the servers.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

CyberNerd (25th May 2011)

Thank Post
    It'll be quicker because when a person logs on to a machine it's not having to download their massive My Documents/Pictures/Music etc folders to the machine as part of the logon.

EDIT: Localzuk beat me to it! lol :P

11. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

CyberNerd (25th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post

The way I have it set here is that in AD for each user a mapped drive (U:\) is pointed to \\FileServer\Staff\%username% where anyone who is a member of the "Staff" group in AD can access the \\server\Staff folder and then only the individual %username% and myself as Administrator can access the individual folders.
    Why don't you redirect it to a directory within their home folder instead? it sounds like you just created them another homedrive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    We're using Windows 2003 R2 and XP (hence the forum I posted in).
    I should really learn to read the forum headings too! Sorry.

I started it off using the same setup and it still did it automatically, but there were more issues with the syncing of files, plus XP always seemed to want to run a full sync if the previous had failed, even if it was a different user was logged in. Not an issue for if it was me (or another member of staff with basic admin rights) but if it was a pupil then that caused an issue as they didn't have the permissions to access the staff folders, but as I guess you're talking about staff laptops then this shouldn't be an issue.

I don't understand what you're trying to say about permissions?
    Permissions: basically, in the folder redirect area, you can tell it to grant permissions to only the member of staff for their work, so that noone else, including admins, can view those files unless you take ownership. I don't know what your AUP includes there, so it might be that you have access to all the files for administration purposes in which case make sure the tick box to grant exclusive rights to the staff isn't checked. If you do grant exclusive rights to the staff and you find you need to access a file / folder at a later date, you will have to take ownership as an admin on the server to ensure you get access rights, but then this can lead to problems on the odd time for that staff saving files etc.

Also, you say that things are a bonus as they can get access to them on any machine - this is the case with their existing roaming profiles as it is. The issue is using roaming profiles and redirection together.
    Ah, didn't know you were using Roaming Profiles as it wasn't mentioned. This one I don't know as I don't use roaming profiles, but I don't see there would be an issues. Looks like Pete1014174 has answered that for you though.

Thank Post
    Why don't you redirect it to a directory within their home folder instead? it sounds like you just created them another homedrive.
    Not sure what you mean by their "Home folder"?
    Are you saying 1 folder that has their roaming profile data and their documents inside it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by their "Home folder"?
    Are you saying 1 folder that has their roaming profile data and their documents inside it?
    "Home Folder" - we use a mapped network drive for this that is the "my documents"
    I don't see why not. Create a hidden folder within a mapped drive that has the profile data in it. Any problems with this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Redirected folders and offline files even worked fine back in XP, you will want to define 'administrativly offline files' to point to your \\server\dfs\docs\%username% and disable the automatic offline cacheing. The automated stuff will do it usually but will also try to grab all mapped resources and can lead it to try and sync stuff in shared mapped drives and depending on software stuff like SIMS? from shared drives which causes massive issues.

It will do the move for you but I would seriously try to do it manually as you get teachers killing the machine, rebooting and killing again as it starts teh move again. Much easier to do it manually or at least tell them firmly that it is happening.

I am suprised that it has been tennable to have roaming profiles without redirection as the profiles must be truely huge.

Thank Post
    "Home Folder" - we use a mapped network drive for this that is the "my documents"
    I don't see why not. Create a hidden folder within a mapped drive that has the profile data in it. Any problems with this?
    Just different ways of doing the same thing I guess.

Personally I like having my \\server\Staff\%username% and \\server\Pupils\%username% for document redirection and \\server\Profiles\%username% for profiles. That way, I know that anything I do with the contents of the profiles folders (deleting, renaming, restoring, previous versions etc) has no chance of having an effect on the documents folders and contents, and vice-versa.

If it was all held together, I can envisage that if a profile corrupted and needed deleting, at some point one would forget that their documents are all inside the same folder and erase the lot....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast