+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Everythings Just Stopped... XP Clients, W2k3 DC ridiculous logon times... in Technical; Hi Guys. I think this is my first post here, but i have watched for a while. Anyway, I'll cut ...

Thank Post

Everythings Just Stopped... XP Clients, W2k3 DC ridiculous logon times...

Hi Guys.
    I think this is my first post here, but i have watched for a while.
    Anyway, I'll cut to the chase.

Last week was the first day back for our kids at our primary school. During the holidays i had re-imaged Every machine in school, upgraded the Nics and memory etc...

Everything seemed fine untill the first day back. Despite having every machine up and installing software etc the day before (which was hunkey-dorey) everything just ground to a holt as soon at the teachers and kids hit.

FYI The users have redirected folders, no roaming profiles.

The XP clients were sat on "Preparing Network Connections" or "applying Computer Settings" for nearly 30 minutes before the logon dialogue appeared.

Then logon would take a good 20 minutes too.

When you were in there was problems with shares, they would just come and go.

The DC its self was a 40 minute wait to logon aswell. and once you were in is was dog slow. Yet memory usage was normal, network traffic and processors were next to nothing.

The Raid of this server was for some reason rebuilding its self. I sort of put it down to that, and next day everything seemed normal again.

But today the same thing.............

When i got the call it was a 20 minute logon to the DC, i rebooted it and could logon as normal, 5 seconds or so but after an hour it all went to pot again.

A friend thinks its a DNS problem as of late we have had a few cases of Machine names not resolving to the correct IP's

The Clients are XP SP3 and W7 SP1
    2 DC's running DNS and one of those does the DHCP.

After looking around on here i have tried adding the domain name to section 15 In the DHCP settings

Deleted all the client entries from both DNS servers. Added the second DNS to the DHCP Settings

Changed DHCP to force DNS updates if the client doesnt request them.

Scavinaged Both DNS's for stale records.

I will add to the note that the DC has alot of DCOM errors in the Event viewer which i cant get to the bottom of. Error 10016. Could this be to blame?

Unfortunatly, i cant seem to wake any of the clients remotly for some reason so i dont know if any of this has helped.

Your thoughts?

Thank Post
    Have you tried remoting clients using the IP address instead of the machine names?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Raid of this server was for some reason rebuilding its self. I sort of put it down to that, and next day everything seemed normal again.
    RAID Arrays do not, as a rule, randomly rebuild themselves. I suggest you dig deeper as there may be a bigger problem about to occur. A faulty disk/RAID array will cause random problems like those described. DNS too can cause issues such as this, but I suspect that you may have a disk(s) that will need swapping out soon and what you are seeing is symtomatic of this. I may be wrong, but that would be my guess. You will have to check your RAID diagnostics for further infomation.

Thank Post
    @bodminman - yes, if i look in the dhcp records for the machines IP your straight in. Go via machine name and something your connected to a totally different machine.

@Dos_Box - i was way to busy that day and was maybe hoping that would have been why the system was so unresponsive... I recall it having a bad restart that morning due to just every app /servicve/ you name it just not responding.. it was probably just resyncing the drives after a abrupt restart. Drives since then have checked All Ok

Thank Post
    Universally_challenged;668202]@bodminman - yes, if i look in the dhcp records for the machines IP your straight in. Go via machine name and something your connected to a totally different machine.
    Certainly sounds like dns to me.

What about date/time settings across the site. How are these set?

Thank Post
    I have re-installed the software that the DCOM errors were refering to and they have stopped. I wiped the system event log and restarted the DC a short time ago. now i have these errors.

-----------------------------------------------
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: WinRM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10154
    Date: 03/05/2011
    Time: 22:03:37
    User: N/A
    Computer: STGRG1
    Description:
    The WinRM service failed to create the following SPNs: WSMAN/stgrg1.stgrgb16.bham.sch.uk; WSMAN/stgrg1.

Additional Data
    The error received was 8344: Insufficient access rights to perform the operation. .

User Action
    The SPNs can be created by an administrator using setspn.exe utility.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
    ----------------------------------------------------

and this one

----------------------------------------------------------
    Event Source: DhcpServer
    Event ID: 1056
    Time: 22:03:45
    Description:
    The DHCP service has detected that it is running on a DC and has no credentials configured for use with Dynamic DNS registrations initiated by the DHCP service. This is not a recommended security configuration. Credentials for Dynamic DNS registrations may be configured using the command line "netsh dhcp server set dnscredentials" or via the DHCP Administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Thank Post
    I have re-installed the software that the DCOM errors were refering to and they have stopped. I wiped the system event log and restarted the DC a short time ago. now i have these errors.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Event Source: DhcpServer
    Event ID: 1056
    Time: 22:03:45
    Description:
    The DHCP service has detected that it is running on a DC and has no credentials configured for use with Dynamic DNS registrations initiated by the DHCP service. This is not a recommended security configuration. Credentials for Dynamic DNS registrations may be configured using the command line "netsh dhcp server set dnscredentials" or via the DHCP Administrative tool.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....
    Have a look at Event ID 1056 Is Logged After Installing DHCP

Thank Post

-----------------------------------------------
    Event Source: WinRM
    Event ID: 10154
    Time: 22:03:37
    Description:
    The WinRM service failed to create the following SPNs: WSMAN/stgrg1.stgrgb16.bham.sch.uk; WSMAN/stgrg1.

Additional Data
    The error received was 8344: Insufficient access rights to perform the operation. .

User Action
    The SPNs can be created by an administrator using setspn.exe utility.

----------------------------------------------------
    Have a look at this thread too: Bug? Event ID 10154 (WinRM service failed to create the following SPNs...)

Thank Post
    @bodminman

Was just reading up on these two.

seems to be conflicting infomation ref the DHCP. Do you thing i should create a Domain Admin account just for this and enter the credentials?
    Last edited by Universally_challenged; 3rd May 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Thank Post
    as of yet i still havent nailed this one. sorted the DCOM errors. have kerberos and other errors now. this has to be something simple.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is there a time disparity between clients and the DC?

Thank Post
    Have a look at the disk access on your server using performance monitoring tools, I really think you need to be 100% that the array rebuilding isn't causing this, you've said that the processor and ram were normal which usually means your dog slow server has disk access problems which are likely caused by the rebuilding, you might find that the failing disk comes back to life for periods which would cause the sort of intermittent problems your seeing, espically on a dc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Which is what I said earlier. I suspect he's trying to fix the symptoms, not the cause.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Universally_challenged View Post
    The XP clients were sat on "Preparing Network Connections" or "applying Computer Settings" for nearly 30 minutes before the logon dialogue appeared.
    There was a Windows Update a couple of weeks ago which made the "applying Computer Settings" prompt seem to take a bit longer than normal, but a couple of reboots later it was fine. I think it was configuring the latest .NET.

Thank Post
    sorry, i thought i put a reply up.
    The machine now has 2 new drives in it. and the only error in the event log is a Kerbos one.

--------------------------------------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Kerberos
    Event ID: 3
    Date: 07/05/2011
    Time: 14:05:20
    Computer: S****1
    Description:
    A Kerberos Error Message was received:
    on logon session
    Client Time:
    Server Time: 13:5:20.0000 5/7/2011 Z
    Error Code: 0x7 KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN
    Extended Error:
    Client Realm:
    Client Name:
    Server Realm: ********.****.SCH.UK
    Server Name: s****1.********.****.sch.uk
    Target Name: s****1.********.sch.uk@********.****.SCH.UK
    Error Text:
    File: 9
    Line: b22
    Error Data is in record data.

------------------------------------------------

Im led to believe that this could be due to DNS Problems. (which have been about for a while.)
    I have demoted the second DC and removed DNS off of that a couple of days ago, so were are just down to this one.
    The second DNS is still showing in the DNS records as a name server. should i remove this or will ir go by itsself. I know NOTHING anoud DNS, its just self learning black magic to me. So where do you start about trouble shooting it? is there a way to just factory fresh it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast