+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Exchange 2003 keeps freezing since virus attack in Technical; We had a virus attack (convienently just before the Easter break, all those jobs that were left until then went ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2003 keeps freezing since virus attack

We had a virus attack (convienently just before the Easter break, all those jobs that were left until then went out the window...) which took a lot of getting rid of - sweeps with AVG and Malware Bytes eventually cleared things up.

Since then, on a fairly regular basis - about every 24 to 48 hours, normally in the middle of the night - the Exchange server will freeze. The easiest solution I've found is to restart the Information Store service, then everything starts working.

Whatever the problem is, it also causes the backup (Veritas) to fail with an "Exchange server not responding" error. This now means we've not backed up the emails for a few weeks so it's asking for trouble! I ran a backup excluding the Exchange setup and it was fine.

I've tried to "repair" install Exchange and re-install 2003 SP2, this hasn't solved the problem. I hope someone out there can advise me how to solve this, as if the virus is still present I can wave goodbye to doing anything else for the next couple of weeks!

Thank Post
    are you sure its not the backup software causing exchange to crash ?

I imagine you have the backups set for a nighly backup ?

Thank Post
    Was thinking the same thing. Does the stop occur at the same time every night? What's in the logs at the same time, especially just prior to the stop? Do you perform any other maintenance jobs on the Exchange server at that time of night, e.g. antivirus updates?

Thank Post
    Hi

1. Gather the events (errors/warnings) from the application and system event logs and post
    2. How frequently does this happen? Actual timings would benice rather than guesses.
    3. Run the Exchange BPA and save report and post/PM. Check your self there are no major errors/warnings. If yes, correct.
    4. Does Exchange actually hang or crash?

Sukh

Thank Post
    Haven't had the time to look through the logs properly. Here are the messages generated when the backup fails:

Unexpected error <<0xc1050000 - Unknown Error. The logon to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 80040111-03ee-80040111>> occurred.

and

The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
    The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.
    The MAPI provider failed.
    Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
    ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000

Looking at it now, the second message recurs until the service is restarted. There is also this message which could be part of the problem:

Exchange store 'Admin Storage Group\Admin Mailbox Store (SERVER)': The current physical size of this database (the .edb file and the .stm file) is 19 GB. This database has exceeded the size limit of 18 GB. However, the logical free space in this database has not yet been evaluated. Therefore, it is possible that this database contains enough free space to bring its logical size below the maximum size limit.

If the logical database size exceeds the maximum size limit, it will be dismounted on a regular basis.

It would seem that either (a) running the backup causes it to fail or (b) the file size limit causes the problem. If it's (a), any ideas? If it's (b), how do I increase the file size limit?

Thank Post
    1. Which version of Exchange are you using. It appears to be standard and not enterprise.
    2. I would say from what you have posted the the edb limit is the casue.
    3. How to increase the Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 18-gigabyte database size limit - Use thie KB to increase the limit.

Sukh

Thank Post
    It is Standard, not Enterprise. Trying the MS KB now, will update the thread if there are still problems. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Actually done this my self yesterday as my database had only 500mb Left

On the computer that is running Exchange 2003 SP2, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Click one of the following registry subkeys, as appropriate for the store that you want to increase:

For a mailbox store, click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSExchangeIS\Server name\Private-Mailbox Store GUID
    For a public folder store, click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSExchangeIS\Server name\Public-Public Store GUID

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    In the New Value #1 box, type Database Size Limit in Gb, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click Database Size Limit in Gb, and then click Modify.
    Click Decimal, and then type an integer from 1 to 75 in the Value data box.

Reset the store service after doing this . No need to restart the server

Hopefully will sort it out for you

Thank Post
    Server now set to 40GB, and the staff told to tidy things up a bit! We'll see if that clears the problem when tonight's backup runs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread