+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, GPO Bloat in Technical; Domain name is NT Authority. No DNS domain name available. < doesnt look good...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Domain name is NT Authority. No DNS domain name available. < doesnt look good

2. Thanks to nephilim from:

garethedmondson (29th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm - I've asked the LEA and they assure me it is fine. I'll go back to them next week.

Although our network has now been changed. The LEA want to use central domain controllers which are stored several miles away in County Hall. We authenticate over the broadband link. We then had our own domain controller put in. It has been taken out now as we look to lower our logon times (it is called yggwyr-dc in the log file).

I'll run the tests again with the machines now pointing at the LEA dns servers.

Gareth
    Last edited by garethedmondson; 22nd April 2011 at 09:01 PM.

Thank Post
    @gareth - Have we nailed the slow GPO processing to one GPO, i.e the IE GPO? Or is GPO processing still slow with other GPO's?

Sukh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    @gareth - Have we nailed the slow GPO processing to one GPO, i.e the IE GPO? Or is GPO processing still slow with other GPO's?

Sukh
    No sorry Sikh, I've not been in work since last Wednesday and will not be there until next Wednesday. However we have removed them all and the logon time is down to 7 seconds LOL. I've added a few back in and it's up to 10 seconds. I'm adding them back in slowly, but cannot do anything until I get back into work.

Gareth

Thank Post
    We have some things like LAN school where you can set the channel number using a GPO, so we have one GPO for each channel we use - 28 in total just for that, obviously each OU only has one of these applied. We have a seperate GPO for each MSI we deploy, and settings like Wireless and offline files have their own specific policies. All the rest of the settings are defined by a further 6 GPOs - machine policies for staff, students and net admins, and user policies for the same groups.

Unfortunitely out main staff and students group policiy has some errors in it now and I can't run resultant set of policy on it in group policy manager, or get a report of all the settings which is a pain, it still seems to apply to the workstations in good time thou - our login time on a cabled workstation is less than 1 minute which is think is acceptable. Wireless can be a lot longer, but this is down to the wireless speed and not the policies.

Mike.

7. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is the latest file taken from a machine today that is not my test machine.

Here is what stands out to me - even though I do not understand everything..
    • 22 second gap between rows 614 and 621
    • Row 1877 - 59 seconds to reach logon box
    • Between 1878 - 1918 - no DNS
    • When the user logs on it takes 21 seconds between 3016 and 3020 - to do what?
    • No idea what is going on between 3385 - 3400
    Feel free to disect :-)

Thanks everyone,

Gareth
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    I've entertained this GPO login times for many years and to be honest It never came down to how many GPOs you had... As long as you know what the GPOs do and what scripts they are running and double check that the scripts are valid then it shouldn't be an issue.
    More often it was down to DNS settings and Nic drivers. In my experiments I found that Realteks and Intel cards had a much better login performance than Marvells and broadcoms.
    Other factors I found with login times were folder redirection and profiles and how you managed the redirection of profile app data.

10. Thanks to MaXiM from:

Thank Post
    Also this is something that made a difference if it was down to profiles. In our case we had roaming profiles, and if you google roaming profiles you always get told its a bad thing and if you use them always delete them on log off... well In our case roaming profiles was really the only logical way in our organistion...But deleting the profiles on logoff made things a lot slower overall. I found that keeping cached copies and removing them every few months or so vastly sped up login times.

12. Thanks to MaXiM from:

Thank Post
    @gareth - Just had a qucik look at your logs, need to How long does it take now?

Sukh

14. Thanks to sukh from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    @gareth - Just had a qucik look at your logs, need to How long does it take now?

Sukh
    Well at the moment we have two OUs - the whole school OU - which is where the latest (above) log file comes from. You can see how long that takes to log on.

The second OU is my test OU. Here we have been adding GPOs one at a time. I've recreated my IE GPO based on a new .adm file. Seems I was using an old one (IE7 .adm file) - so that's been updated. The logon time was around 9 seconds. However, I've just added a GPO that contains a script to map a drive - whoosh - logon time suddenly increases. Yet this script has to be there. We will be looking at it again on Monday.

Did you see anything of interest in the log file?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Well at the moment we have two OUs - the whole school OU - which is where the latest (above) log file comes from. You can see how long that takes to log on.

The second OU is my test OU. Here we have been adding GPOs one at a time. I've recreated my IE GPO based on a new .adm file. Seems I was using an old one (IE7 .adm file) - so that's been updated. The logon time was around 9 seconds. However, I've just added a GPO that contains a script to map a drive - whoosh - logon time suddenly increases. Yet this script has to be there. We will be looking at it again on Monday.

Did you see anything of interest in the log file?

Gareth
    What version of server are your DC's running? Whats the script like? VBS or batch?

17. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What version of server are your DC's running? Whats the script like? VBS or batch?
    Hi - the central LEA DCs are running Windows 2003r2 but do have a central store for .admx files which can be edited with Windows 7 machines. There are plans to upgrade them soon to 2008r2 - everything is in place and the testing done (from what I have been told).

The scripts are vbs.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try changing the script for a simple .bat file and see if that helps.

Do you have any problems running to the folder where the script is located?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Try changing the script for a simple .bat file and see if that helps.

Do you have any problems running to the folder where the script is located?
    Not that I am aware of. All the script does is the following:

1. Check to see of the machine is in the SuccessMaker security group.
    2. If Yes - unmap the LEA M drive and remap it to the SuccessMaker server.

I'm sure the script does more than that but cannot get access to it at the moment.

If the script does not run SuccessMaker does not work. However we know the script is running and M is being remapped.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Today we started tidying up our GPOs and managed to consolidate a couple into one larger one. We knew the settings worked so slapped them all together. Also created a GPO to install Base software for when a machine is built. When looking at the logs from Policy Reporter we can see each policy being loaded and read - now this must take a little bit of time (even if it is milliseconds) - so are working on the assumption that less policies is better than more policies.

Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast