+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Duplicate Name in Technical; On our main DC we are seeing lots of the event ID 4319 - a duplicate name exists on the ...

Thank Post

Duplicate Name

On our main DC we are seeing lots of the event ID 4319 - a duplicate name exists on the TCP network. This is causing some confusion and is being listed in the event viewer every minute or so.

I have done a nbtstat -n and nothing seems to be at fault?

Help needed guys.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Does it give you any further details?

Do you allow staff/student laptops on the network? as it could be that you have two students called joe and they have been named joe-desktop? (but not sure if they count if they are not on the domain)

or you have to machines on your domain with the same name. But it should be poping up on the client machine alot

Thank Post
    just had this all the pcs in the school came up with duplicate name turns out the wifi controller had the same name as the domain

Thank Post
    Yes we do allow students to bring their own laptops into school. But again like you I would assume that would not count due to them belonging to a workgroup and not the domain. If we have duplicate clients then would i be right in thinking the easiest way of checking is sifting through all the machines manually...or is there a quicker route?

@Sted - we also have a cisco wireless controller so I might have a look to check the name we have given to it. Did you just change the name?

also with the error in the event viewer did you notice any slowness of the network ? I have noticed we get the occasional netlogon error shortly after the 4319...

again thanks for help in advance.
    Last edited by chrisleek; 31st January 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisleek View Post
    Yes we do allow students to bring their own laptops into school. But again like you I would assume that would not count due to them belonging to a workgroup and not the domain. If we have duplicate clients then would i be right in thinking the easiest way of checking is sifting through all the machines manually...or is there a quicker route?

@Sted - we also have a cisco wireless controller so I might have a look to check the name we have given to it. Did you just change the name?

also with the error in the event viewer did you notice any slowness of the network ? I have noticed we get the occasional netlogon error shortly after the 4319...

Possibly look in DHCP to see if there is two leases to different mac addresses with the same name. But then that will only confirm you do have it. To be honest when i have given machines duplicate names its normally say you have 3 it rooms it1, it2, it3 and you name a machine it1-4 but it should actually be IT2-4 etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes we do allow students to bring their own laptops into school. But again like you I would assume that would not count due to them belonging to a workgroup and not the domain.
    It might something like the DNS/DHCP service chucking it in the logs and not directly related to if their in the domain or not.

Thank Post

yup logged in (its a netgear controller cant stand cisco but that may just be teh wat lea isp does it ie one size fits none) changed the name and rebooted (to make sure the name change stuck)

Thank Post
    Hi

I am guessing here are the machines ghosted. If did they get newsid or sysprep run on them before joining them on the domain if you dont they might have the same sid.

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread