+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Global Desktop Stopped Working? in Technical; We have a global desktop set up for the kids for easy access to regular programs, however on the last ...
    Thank Post

Global Desktop Stopped Working?

We have a global desktop set up for the kids for easy access to regular programs, however on the last batch of netbooks we have it has stopped appearing (i.e. only icons local to the netbook appear), drives are mapped, printers mapped etc just the desktop not loading the icons. Been working for the last few years just fine, no problems when adding new PC's etc before now. Now they did work when they were originally imaged, just in the last week or so it seems to have stopped on this batch? Desktops work fine and other original netbooks (which were the basis for the image) work fine.
    Tried taking it off domain, readding to domain, newsid, new name, removing profiles on netbook all to no avail and at a loss what to do or where to go now?

As to what has changed, new Sophos was installed at Christmas and the latest batch have the new version on, apart from that nothing else has been changed unless WSUS has downloaded an update in the mean time.

Any sensible suggestions on a postcard pleassseeeeee.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't be sure it is the same issue I had but in this thread:

Link: Dell Laptops And Wireless Network Access

I asked for opinions. The answer I received from LukeC gave me the clue I needed to solve the problem [belated thanks given this evening]

His advice worked where there were additional management options available for the card [they were preventing Windows from managing the wireless connection]

However some of the laptops did not have additional management tools alongside the driver. In these cases I found a tick box in Control Panel/Network Card Driver that said something like 'allow this utility to manage the wireless connection' Taking the tick out of that box and setup the connection with Windows Wireless networking and the laptops fell back into line again.

HTH.

3. Thanks to DaveP from:

TechSupp (26th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Will give that a try tomorrow. Did have connection issues with this set and last time I worked on them set them to use windows wireless setup. Must have a closer look at that setup. They did when I checked them last time after changing the settings, bring up the desktop but as said they now refuse to do that vital part! Must be something to do with it as the original four have different wireless and worked fine and dandy. Have two other (insurance replacements after some tea leaf nicked two in the summer) that need adding to the domain so may try them first to see what happens as they are another model again and different wireless, bet it works on them! Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    are the netbooks win 7?

Thank Post
    No, just good old XP, not had a problem before like this, just hope this is a local problem as I set up 30 at one of my other schools but so far (reaches for nearest bit of wood) not had a problem like this with them. Must be some thing with the wireless config as thats all thats different. At least I got some focus to my investigations now rather than just stabbing in the dark!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    No, just good old XP, not had a problem before like this, just hope this is a local problem as I set up 30 at one of my other schools but so far (reaches for nearest bit of wood) not had a problem like this with them. Must be some thing with the wireless config as thats all thats different. At least I got some focus to my investigations now rather than just stabbing in the dark!
    ah was going to say these is a bug with win 7 and active desktop!

Thank Post
    Now after having a bit more investigation I find that the netbooks load the global desktop on certain users who have a different profile set, i.e. domain admin loads the global desktop and myself as a user loads the global desktop, however when logging on as any of the users who have the default pupil profile, no global desktop. Now this only happens on this batch of netbooks and not on the original four or the desktops! I did alter the default profile at Christmas, could that have made any difference and if so what do I need to do to correct it but cant understand why it works OK on the desktops but not on these batch of netbooks? Dont think its wireless connection as some logons as described load the desktop.

Update: Just created a brand new profile and set class logon to it:
    logged on to netbook, no global desktop icons
    logged on to desktop pc, no global icons

reset logon to old user profile
    logged on to netbook, no global desktop icons
    logged on to desktop pc, global icons now appear!

Any ideas now very welcome as at a loss what to do?
    Last edited by TechSupp; 27th January 2011 at 05:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Right back to my old faithful problem! Got around to sorting out three netbooks that were missing the last time I had this issue. Now last time I sorted it....but didnt write the solution down!!!!Argggghhh!!! Any ideas to a solution, desktop loads when logging on as a domain admin but a normal user..no joy, (even made them local admins, no joy). Sure last time it was something stupid that needed changing. Pulling my hair out with this one.

Thank Post
    Fixed it (orat least remembered what I did last time!) and writing it here means I can find it again, not saying my memory is bad, just too many jobs on the go at once! Anyway all it took to fix it was a gpupdate on the client and away it went! Can go home happy now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread