+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Upgrading server space in Technical; Hi there, We keep having issues with space running low on our server. This of course isn't what I want ...
    Thank Post

Question Upgrading server space

Hi there,

We keep having issues with space running low on our server. This of course isn't what I want as an ICT Technician because it causes print issues, file saving issues and too many other issues to issue an issue at...

What's the best way to go about upgrading the space?

All the Best,

Jay
    xxx

Thank Post
    Think first of all whether this is the only solution as it could be expensive. Can you archive some files that are no longer used (we had stuff from 2003 in some subject folders that just wasn't relevant for the current curriculum)? Can you compress some files (.bmp files come to mind). Can you apply a quota or make your existing one stricter?

Following this if you still find you are short of space then consider a NAS (Network Attached Storage) that has iSCSI ability as a cheaper solution than physically adding more HDD space into the server (Server 2003 does support this technology).
    If you do decide that the only solution is extra Hard Drives you will probably find that you'll need 3 Hard Drives and a raid card to keep the existing redundancy levels to prevent data loss.

3. Thanks to cromertech from:

marsdenprimary (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    Think first of all whether this is the only solution as it could be expensive. Can you archive some files that are no longer used (we had stuff from 2003 in some subject folders that just wasn't relevant for the current curriculum)? Can you compress some files (.bmp files come to mind). Can you apply a quota or make your existing one stricter?

Following this if you still find you are short of space then consider a NAS (Network Attached Storage) that has iSCSI ability as a cheaper solution than physically adding more HDD space into the server (Server 2003 does support this technology).
    If you do decide that the only solution is extra Hard Drives you will probably find that you'll need 3 Hard Drives and a raid card to keep the existing redundancy levels to prevent data loss.
    Try as I might- the staff don't delete unwanted stuff. There are two members in particular, the ones with the biggest and messiest folders, who seem reluctant to delete ANYTHING! I have asked time and time again...

What do you suggest? Shall I just move them and see what comeback i get? Tried that once before...!!

Thank Post
    Agree limits for staff with the SMT then turn on file quota-ing

6. Thanks to somabc from:

Thank Post
    Sounds like a good idea...how do i do that?

Thank Post
    I set up a NAS box, moved what I thought was no longer needed to it and left shortcuts in the original locations. I don't think any of the staff have ever noticed. Of course, they might notice if there's a disaster as the NAS box isn't backed up...

9. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Thank Post
    you might find this article a good start point

How to Enable Disk Quotas in Windows 2000 (listed for Win2k but the options are pretty much the same)
    allows you to specify quota's for users and i would guess groups which would be more useful for you.

the biggest issue you are going to find with quota's that the staff are going to find it a problem as they are used to not having limits.

a RAID1 NAS sat on the network is another option (already mentioned) 500GB/1TB mirrored sets are not hugely expensive, and most allow the setting of AD permissions.
    though not suited for having 100's of people moving huge amounts of data id say it will plug a hole if you are struggling for space

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread