+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Print Sharing & Mapping in Technical; Currently running 2003 w/SP2. I've got 2 printers shared from the server, that all clients can print too, Primary & ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Print Sharing & Mapping

Currently running 2003 w/SP2.

I've got 2 printers shared from the server, that all clients can print too, Primary & a backup printer.

They are both mapped to the WinXP machines and work just fine.

I cannot get the backup printer, which is a HP 2600n, to install on the Windows 7 Pro machine for the domain user.

Win 7 is a 32bit machine, w/the proper 32bit driver. If you login as a domain admin, or local machine admin, you can install the printer and use it, you login as a domain user, and the printer is nowhere to be found.

How can I install the printer globally for the users of that machine, so they have access to the printer.

I also have to unpack the drivers on that machine in advance, b/c the server 2003, doesn't have an option to install additional drivers for a Win7 machine.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    68 views and no ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Do you mean that when you try to add the printer to a user's account you can't find it? This is an issue with HP 2600n itself: you're never going to be able to find it via Windows Add Printer. You have to run the HP installer to add the printer as a network printer; the installer software will see the 2600n on the network and allow you to add it.

Moral of the story: avoid the 2600n at all costs!

HP Color LaserJet 2600n Printer- Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

Thank Post
    look at 'point & print' group policy settings - can't remember exactly, but you can lift the restrictions that are stopping standard users getting it mapped.
    you might need the latest adm files and/or RSAT installing before you can see this option - my servers were 2008 when I had this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Do you mean that when you try to add the printer to a user's account you can't find it? This is an issue with HP 2600n itself: you're never going to be able to find it via Windows Add Printer. You have to run the HP installer to add the printer as a network printer; the installer software will see the 2600n on the network and allow you to add it.

Moral of the story: avoid the 2600n at all costs!

HP Color LaserJet 2600n Printer*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center
    Well, the 2600n was purchased w/o my consent a few yrs back, so it's what I have to work with as a "backup" printer to a 4600. The 4600, is going out for repair as soon as I get the 2600 up on the 3 Win7 pro 32bit machines we have.

I can login as a domain admin, or on the local machine, and it sees the printer shared from the 2003 server, and I can install it.

I log off, and log in as a regular user and the printer is not listed. If I try to install it through the "Add printer wizard" it errors out.

I just tried browsing to the printer with a regular user, and right clicking on the printer in the AD directory and clicking "connect" and it just installed it, tested and works out.

However, I REALLY don't want to be foreced to login with each user on the machines as we have roaming profiles to install the printer for each person.

Anyway for me to install it globally for each user on that machine, even if I have to do that on all 3 machines, beats installing it for each person across all 3 machines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    look at 'point & print' group policy settings - can't remember exactly, but you can lift the restrictions that are stopping standard users getting it mapped.
    you might need the latest adm files and/or RSAT installing before you can see this option - my servers were 2008 when I had this.
    I'll check into that.

I'm not familiar with ADM or RSAT?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    small bump

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, right clicking on the printer in the directory listing, and connecting was a quick work around, but today I started to log into each user and seeing if it would work, and no.

Seems from more research it's a 2600n issue w/the driver, and stopping the printer spooler service.

Argg!!!!

Thank Post
    I think the previous post about point and print in the group policy settings was the key. You have to disable it, if I remember correctly. We had terrible problems when this was enable - HP would crash the print spooler every time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I need to add additional drivers to the 2003 server, but when you click on additional drivers, it doesn't have anything for vista/win7?

The printer see's the share, tries to install the xp driver, which is known to cause the print spool service to fail. I'm thinking if I had the correct driver installed on the server, it would pull the correct one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrince View Post
    I think the previous post about point and print in the group policy settings was the key. You have to disable it, if I remember correctly. We had terrible problems when this was enable - HP would crash the print spooler every time.
    I found it and disabled, it was set to "not configured".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by siadam View Post
    I found it and disabled, it was set to "not configured".
    No dice. No difference.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, here is the workaround I found.

I went into the Win7 machine, and using print management, added the print server as a server, and uploaded the driver from there.

However the users were still not allowed to install the printer, b/c it would shut down the printer spooler on the machine. So I added everyuser to the admin group on the local machine, logged in with each user and manually added the printer.

Worked, then removed them from the admin group, tested, still works.

Long process, but it corrects the problem, unitl I'm able to purchase and rollout server 2008.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Problem Adding Windows 7 64-bit print drivers to 32-bit Windows 2003 Print Server - Server Fault

I used the RSAT tools to get Windows 2003 to serve up drivers to Windows 7 x64. But, first, I had to update the driver list. Procedure I used:

-Update Windows Driver Database

Go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers.
    Add a new printer, choose local.
    Choose LPT1.
    In the "Install printer driver" dialogue, click the Windows Update button. This will download the rest of the drivers you expect to see listed.
    Cancel the printer installation, the drivers will not be deleted.
    -Install drivers to the server with RSAT

Download and install the RSAT tools.
    Open the Print Management tool.
    Right-click on Print Servers, choose Add/Remove Server, and add your target print server.
    Under the new server object, click Add Drivers.
    In my case, since I'm on Windows x64, I selected x64, and deselected x86.
    This will bring up the list of drivers installed on your workstation. Choose the driver to install on the server.
    Last post on the server fault post is a link to this MS KB if you have any errors

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982728/en-us

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread