+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Need a solution.....to virtualize a server in Technical; Problem - got an old IBM Netfinity Server running windows 2003 server. All it's doing is acting a DC and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Need a solution.....to virtualize a server

Problem - got an old IBM Netfinity Server running windows 2003 server. All it's doing is acting a DC and running WSUS.
    Last week we had a site wide [ well postcode wide ] power cut - this resulted in a failed drive in the mirror array.
    I have replaced the failed drive with a spare I had it simply won't re-build so I ordered a new drive which has just arrived and it won't re-build.
    This server really only has to survive another year or so, so I am thinking of now virtualizing it just to keep it going.
    So come on people - whats the easiest method of doing this ? ESXi ? MS Virtual PC ?

Thanking you all in advance for your suggestions.

On checking it seems the BIOS and Firware levels on the raid card are ok but they don't match the driver level - will see if I can sort this out first. But any suggestions in regards to getting this as a virtual server would be greaftully received.
    Last edited by mattx; 24th November 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Done exactly this with ESXi - just use the Converter Standalone Client, then send the resulting VM to an ESXi box or even an ESX VM running on Windows.

Another possibility is migrating the roles, both DC and WSUS roles move to another server very easily, if available.

3. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

mattx (25th November 2010)

Thank Post
    I'd do the same, move the roles off it to a good dc and demote it before it becomes an issue.
    The MS disk2vhd tool works well enough though if you really must migrate it.

5. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeap, disk2VHD would be my method and chuck it on a hyper-V box or Virtual PC. You can do it live but you should stop all but the absolutly required services first so that it remains consistant. Even better boot it up under WinPE/other live booting windows cd so that there are no services at all accessing the drives to make them incosistant. The same rules apply to the VMware converter, you can do it with some of the services up but you are much safer to spin down as many as possible first before virtuaising.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Is there a list of services I can have a look at to stop before virtualizing it ? As it's only acting as a DC and WSUS server it does not do that much.

Thank Post
    Can I throw my hat into the ring here, try converting it to the free version of Citrix XenServer using XenConvert - has worked well for me in the past when I was moving some TestVMS from Virtualbox to a xenserver.

10. Thanks to rh91uk from:

Thank Post
    I booted into the ServeRAID shell and to start with it still not would see the new disk. Then it started and now it's re-building [ but re-building the controller 1 logical disk 1 [ which is the replaced disk ]
    Once it started to re-build I then took the risk of re-booting as I seem to remember you can do that on this old IBM kit, and it's booted and the re-build is still going - will be interesting to see what happens when it's complete.

Thank Post
    Well the re-build of the controller and disk has finished and all is now fine. Still want to virtualize it though !! At least this has given me a bit more time. A massive thanks to The SCSI Shop Ltd 01604 780633 who were great and fast for getting me a drive which are like hen's teeth these days.
    Can highly recommened them and will certainly be using them in the future.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Is there a list of services I can have a look at to stop before virtualizing it ? As it's only acting as a DC and WSUS server it does not do that much.
    Personally I would try to stop as many as you can most especially though the:
    netlogon
    kerberos
    dns
    SQL
    Server

A much better idea though which I just thought of would be booting the system into safe mode and imaging it to the network as you don't want to boot the system again after you fire up the VM and test it on the network. The big thing to avoid is inconsistancy of the AD database which causes epic issues.

WSUS is easy, the absolute safest may be to demote the DC, VM it then promote it (as a VM) again. Its moot if you can et it to rebuild anyway but that is probably the way I would handle it.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread