+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Best way, Changing a profile in Technical; Set all our classes to use a default mandatory default profile I set up a while ago (following the wiki ...
    Thank Post

Best way, Changing a profile

Set all our classes to use a default mandatory default profile I set up a while ago (following the wiki article on here :-) ), but now with an upgrade to media player its asking for it to be set up each time they log on. Can I set this not to happen via the GPO or whats the best way to change a mandatory profile. Iknow I need to change the extension from man to dat but can I do it with people logged on the system or do I have to wait till all using that default profile are logged off it?

Thank Post
    If people aren't logging in it shouldn't be an issue.

Had a few unfortunate side effects of changing profiles at our place so we normally copy+paste the profile, make changes on the copy (rename .man to .dat log in with account with R+W privs make changes ect)

run tests then copy it back over after school or when pupils aren't likely to be logging in.

We normally test it by moving a year group onto the copied profile for a week or so if its not an urgent change just to see if any problems arise.

3. Thanks to LiamH from:

TechSupp (19th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Hmm, not though you could do that, I presume its just a straight copy and paste of that compete default user profile folder I created. I have set the permissions so that I can edit the extensions of the file already. Sorry if this seems a daft or simple question. Just getting over the shock of being allowed to go to BETT for two days!

Thank Post
    Im guessing its just a normal mandatory profile setup?

IE: shared folder on server with the profile. NTUSER.dat changed to NTUSER.man?

For an example we have 3 mandatory profiles on our server p-profile (pupil) t-profile (staff) and test-profile. If I wanted to modify p-profile and test it on a few pupils I would:

Empty the test-profile folder
    copy the contents of p-profile into test-profile
    Rename the .man to .dat
    log in with a user with full permissions to the test-profile share, I use a test pupil account so everything's identical gp ect
    make changes, log off
    Rename .dat back to .man
    change the profile path of a test userbase to point to test-profile (you can do this on AD to a group of users in bulk, We use a certain class with a IT literate teacher)
    Once you are happy with results copy the test-profile contents back into p-profiles (clear the folder and copy all might work better after school hours)
    and remember to move the test accounts back to p-profile

Might be a bit paranoid but better then breaking the main profile for all users by mistake

hope this helps

6. Thanks to LiamH from:

TechSupp (19th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Yes, a very straight forward profile setup, with just one for every class the same :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread