+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Purchase new server or upgrade old one ????????? in Technical; Originally Posted by brickwall53 my Heads of Staff decided to get our school network checked out.... over a period of ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brickwall53 View Post
    my Heads of Staff decided to get our school network checked out.... over a period of 2 days by a Dell Rep.. (Not my idea) I bet you cannot guess how much that cost....
    I bet you most of that 5,000 will be for the harddrives. Don't worry, a while back Dell were only supporting their own harddrives in their servers (they modified the firmware in the RAID controllers they sold to only work with their drives), but now they are back to letting you plug any old thing in. Their base servers are good value for money, and its probably worth specifying a full 24GB or whatever of RAM while you're buying, but you can get harddrives from wherever you like.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We purchased a Dell and a HP server recently, and they came to around 2.5k a piece (inc HDD's). Rather than upgrade your old server, why not write it off all together and get two servers for 2.5k

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I bet you most of that 5,000 will be for the harddrives. Don't worry, a while back Dell were only supporting their own harddrives in their servers (they modified the firmware in the RAID controllers they sold to only work with their drives), but now they are back to letting you plug any old thing in. Their base servers are good value for money, and its probably worth specifying a full 24GB or whatever of RAM while you're buying, but you can get harddrives from wherever you like.
    --
    David Hicks
    Yes that exactly what I thought when I read it last night, I suddendly realised as I was typing my post. My server had no HD's and I was connecting to my existing SAN.

Thank Post
    has anyone noticed though, when the network gets checked over free of charge. you all need to buy something from them

Thank Post
    Just a note, with upgrading the old one - try Ebay. Old server parts (expecially RAM) often cost peanuts. I bought a second 3.0GHz Xeon dual core for our DC, including HSF, for about 10. Original list was 300 or so

Thank Post

What is the best Server for the job

Go on then.. what would be the best server to run Eportal/ Facility for at the most 40 office users.

Ta John

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12