+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, AD - what IP should my windows domain resolve to? in Technical; Hi there, I am currently in the middle of trying to setup a one way trust between two domains using ...

Thank Post

AD - what IP should my windows domain resolve to?

Hi there,

I am currently in the middle of trying to setup a one way trust between two domains using selective authentication. I've run into a couple of problems with authentication. I've managed to get the domain trusted and permissions configured but I cannot get the accounts to authenticate.

I think I may have discovered what is behind the problems. When I try and ping the domain name from the same domain the IP address it resolves to is no longer up and running. This is the same on both sites. They both resolve to IP addresses of domain controllers that are no longer operating.

Should they be going to current DCs? I am thinking about updating the DNS information for mydomain.net on both sites with the correct IP addresses of each of the current DCs in the domains.

The problem I am getting between the domains is that in Domain B, domain A is listed and I am able to add permissions for Domain A in domain B. Ive added the authentication permission on the machine as I am using selective authentication. When trying to RDP into the machine on domain B with an account from domain A (with permissions granted) I am getting a RPC error and cannot login.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Functioning DNS is the backbone of everything AD so yes that needs to be sorted first.

Ben

Thank Post
    On Domain A ive just had a look and mydomain.lan goes to the current DC. On domain B, mydomain.com, goes to a server that is no existent. I will look to get this repointed now.

Thank Post
    Managed to sort the domain issues. Both domains now resolve to working IPs on domain controllers.

Just need to get to the bottom of the RPC error when trying to log in. I'm trying to log into a server in domain B with a user from domain A. This user has admin rights on the server and Allow Authentication has been setup in AD on the server I am trying to get into. After logging in via RDP i get a grey screen for about 1 min and then I get an error saying RPC connection failed. This is in the event log:

Logon rejected for DomainA\user. Unable to obtain Terminal Server User Configuration. Error: The remote procedure call failed.

The firewall between the sites is set to allow all traffic through on all ports

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Call me daft, but are they on the same subnet?

Thank Post
    No, two different subnets

I am able to ping both DCs from either site without a problem

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread