+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Old DNS Server being a pain in Technical; We setup two new servers in the summer and moved everything over to them, including all the FSMO roles. When ...

Thank Post

Old DNS Server being a pain

We setup two new servers in the summer and moved everything over to them, including all the FSMO roles. When we turned off the old server we noticed access to files became really slow. If you right clicked a file it would take 30 seconds for the context menu to appear, so i turned the old server on and everything went quick again. so i turned the old server off and the slowness returned. I checked dns for old entries of the server and non appeared. checked the registry again none appeared. The only way i have got it to speed up is to put a host file in the new dns server called 'old server name' pointing it to the new server ip address.

What i want to know is, will rebuiling my dns server solve the issue? or is there a better idea?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is the DNS server specified in DHCP and on any staticly configured network interfaces (ie servers) right and pointing to the new server. Also is the old server specified as a DNS server in group policy (Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/DNS Client ) as this could also be causing trouble.

The other thing to check given the symptoms is that there are no mappings or redirections still pointing to the old server like redirected desktops or scripts/links that point to the old server name.

Thank Post
    The old server is not specified in dhcp or on the new servers network interfaces. There are no setting within that configured. I have checked all mappings and redirections but still no look.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did you check Group Policy and have you looked at a machines network behaviour during a freeze up with wireshark to see exactly what its looking for?

Thank Post
    Yes checked group policy and used wireshark. It shows the file looking for the ip address of the old server

Thank Post
    Have you changed the DNS settings to the new DNS IP addresses in the lan connection properties in all your servers?

Thats if you set a static IP address in that

Thank Post
    I use static ip for my server and the new dns ip has been put in the lan connections

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarchs View Post
    Yes checked group policy and used wireshark. It shows the file looking for the ip address of the old server
    What file? is it a shortcut or something. If the file is not somehow pointing to the server then the system in question must still have the old server specified somewhere.

Is the PC attempting to open an CIFS file share connection to a specific place or just running a DNS request?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    What file? is it a shortcut or something.
    The file is anything within a users area e.g a word doc, adobe file, txt file. It is looking for the old server ip address.

I feel like i have tried all the obvious things but without any luck

Thank Post
    You have transferred the roles but have you demoted the old server, and cleaned up the meta data information for it (although demoting it should clean the meta data out). If not just turning it off might be causing the problem. I do admit it sounds like a dns issue but if the old server still has active directory integrated dns this could be the issue, although this should also be replicated to your new servers as it's AD integrated. Did you set up DNS on the new servers as AD integrated or just standard zones ?

Don't demote your old server until you find out the cause of the problem.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 20th October 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    Did you set up DNS on the new servers as AD integrated or just standard zones ?
    I have setup the dns on the new servers as AD integrated zones. The old servers were demoted using dcpromo and no errors occurred. They now appear in the computers organisational unit, not the domain controllers OU. I have not tried cleaning up the meta data manually. Should i try that? If so how do i do it?

Thank Post
    bump...

Thank Post
    You would have to start at the basics. Check the tcpip properties of each server and under dns settings make sure they are pointing to themselves first and then to the alternate dns server.

Server 1 First DNS entry =127.0.0.1
    Server 1 Second DNS entry = 2nd server IP address
    Server 2 First DNS entry =127.0.0.1
    Server 2 Second DNS entry= 1st server IP address

I'm presuming you set the 2 new servers up each with DNS.

If all is well there you should look at this site and follow some of the troubleshooting there.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 2nd November 2010 at 04:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread