+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Restoring to SQL server 2005 - insufficient space on drive C in Technical; Hello, I'm trying to restore our Serco CMIS database to our SQL server 2005 (on Server 2003) after admin staff ...
    Thank Post

Restoring to SQL server 2005 - insufficient space on drive C

Hello,

I'm trying to restore our Serco CMIS database to our SQL server 2005 (on Server 2003) after admin staff made some big mistake.

Using Symantec Backup Exec 11d

The SQL databases are on drive E: with 80GB free space - plenty.

The restore fails because there isn't enough space on drive C:. It looks like it's using drive C: as a staging area.

Is there any way to tell it to use another drive as a staging area? Other drives have loads of free space.

I'm desparate!

Thank Post
    Fixed it. In BackupExec restore job, check the "Take existing database offline" and "Overwrite existing database" boxes. That way it doesn't do the staging on drive C:.

(I know this is a Server 2003 forum, but couldn't find anywhere better to put this).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    The best advice is never use the SQL Backup unless its a last resort, always use the Serco Backup from the system, its much quicker and works much better (which your admin staff took before making any changes didn't they..... I know mine have that drummed into them nicely now ) I've seen what occurs when you use the SQL backup and it wasn't a pretty picture..... (and no before someone says so it wasn't me that did it! I always restore my SQL (such as when I clean installed the system) from the Facility Admin backups.

Thank Post
    John,

Believe me... I know about the Facility backups - I just can't convince the admin staff.

They came to me yesterday morning after mucking up the timetable completely - with no Facility backup.

About an hour of hair ripping later, I'd restored the SQL database and another member of admin staff was manually re-entering the morning's attendance.

I didn't know that a SQL restore could cause problems. I've done it before in a couple of emergencies but not had any problems.

I'll have to invest more time in user education.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    John,

Believe me... I know about the Facility backups - I just can't convince the admin staff.

They came to me yesterday morning after mucking up the timetable completely - with no Facility backup.

About an hour of hair ripping later, I'd restored the SQL database and another member of admin staff was manually re-entering the morning's attendance.

I didn't know that a SQL restore could cause problems. I've done it before in a couple of emergencies but not had any problems.

I'll have to invest more time in user education.
    Maybe you can find the thread on the features wanted and rate that on the Serco Portal for a simpler way of backing up / a batch automated way of doing it as yes its simple but getting them to do it is painful. I try and take one a week myself and the Data Manager does at least one a week so between us we have at least 2 copies a week if not more.

Glad you got it sorted though, I'll come and poke them with a big stick if it would help you convince them to take them before making changing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread