+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Deleting Sharepoint site folders in Windows Explorer in Technical; Hi. We have a Sharepoint site used as a VLE in our school. I was in the process of creating ...
    Thank Post

Deleting Sharepoint site folders in Windows Explorer

Hi. We have a Sharepoint site used as a VLE in our school. I was in the process of creating a new site on the VLE which involved deleting an old site. The problem is that I (foolishly) tried deleting the old site through Windows Explorer (as opposed to using the GUI of the VLE). All this seems to have done is delete the contents of the folders, not the folders themselves. As a result, you can still navigate to a 'default.aspx' page through the VLE and it returns a 'page not found error'. I have tried everything to delete the remaining folders but they refuse to go - I get the following error messages:

"\\*server*\*folderLocation* refers to a location that is unavailable"
    "Cannot read file from source or disk"

....or it will say 'deleting' but not do anything at all.

It is my understanding that sharepoint stores most content in a database form, and that the content of the database may well have been deleted - windows is just confused because I did it from the back end!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank Post
    I have solved the problem....for anybody else who encounters this, here is how to solve it...

- For each created site, there is a 'delete.aspx' page (which is automatically generated) which allows you to delete the site and all contents via sharepoint. The URL is of the following format:

business_economics/gcse/_layouts/deleteweb.aspx - (where 'business_economics' is the subject parent folder and 'GCSE' is the child)

I simply went to delete an existing page, copied the URL of the deleteweb.aspx and replaced the subject with the one that I actually wanted to delete....PROBLEM SOLVED!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread