+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, How would you go about this?? in Technical; Been given a DVD that every class will use, so it needs putting on the network. i was thinking shared ...
    Thank Post

How would you go about this??

Been given a DVD that every class will use, so it needs putting on the network. i was thinking shared drive, but the only way i know how to copy the dvd is by using vlc to play the VOB file. (teachers will complain they forgot how to open vlc > open> shared >dvd PLAY)
    The School will not entertain paying for a format convertor nor will they waste dvd copying it directly.

Any Ideas??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    If you want to convert it to something else just use ffmpeg.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

tommccann (27th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Can't you use the command line options in VLC in some way? A couple of my schools used to have CD servers that could automount and play CD/DVDs, and one of my back-burner projects is re-using an old server to store iso images that can be opened by the teacher clicking on a shortcut that launches a script to mount and execute/play the iso - the teacher just needs to double click and the rest is done "behind the scenes If you're feeling a bit more ambitious/have the time you could look at that.

Or just use a free DVD ripper.

5. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

tommccann (27th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommccann View Post
    Been given a DVD that every class will use, so it needs putting on the network. i was thinking shared drive, but the only way i know how to copy the dvd is by using vlc to play the VOB file. (teachers will complain they forgot how to open vlc > open> shared >dvd PLAY)
    The School will not entertain paying for a format convertor nor will they waste dvd copying it directly.

Any Ideas??
    I'd advise against doing what you suggest on the grounds that if every class ( in form time say) plays this DVD across your network it will affect all other users trying to open close/save files due to the load across the network. Without some sort of network streaming device/software your going to have problems.

I delete/block all video files from our servers and advise staff to play DVD's directly from the computer DVD drive to the class - no network traffic - no problems

Kili

Thank Post
    Depending on what the dvd is, there may be a copyright issue?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Works well for us and totally free, as well as being idiot proof.
    Only til a better idiot comes along...

Thank Post
    HI

You need to make sure of the copy write but if thats ok have a look at DVD shrink

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replys guy! in the end i told them due to network traffic it would be unethical and a few dvds and an email aksing for copying permission was the best way. They seemed to agree after discussing the network proformance would suffer

Thank Post
    I had to perform something similar where i ripped a DVD and used Handbrake to convert the VOB files into m4v. It's a lot easier for teachers to start a video by simply double-clicking on the video file. From what i understand, Windows 7 already has the codecs. Windows XP users have Quicktime installed.

Thank Post
    Note to self: read post first!
    Last edited by maniac; 29th September 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Didn't read post properly. Doh!

Thank Post
    Free DVD Ripper - Rip DVD to AVI Freeware - Free DVD Ripping Software

Download the free version, it won't copy copy protected DVDs but all those unprotected DVDs (home recorded, election, BBC Discs) will work fine. I convert them to WMV so I can use the windows media streamer. It's not really nessisary though I'd be happy to bung the finished WMV file into a network share and let them run it. A WMV bitrate is normally 1Mbp so even 20 simultaneous reads won't tax the network.

EDIT: also I don't believe that there is a copyright violation issue with regards to Intranet playback.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Install the free Unreal Media Server:

Unreal Media Server - Products

Rip DVD to a XVid AVI file (DVD Decrypter and Auto GK) and stream into a web page. Works well for us and totally free, as well as being idiot proof.

Cheers for the top tip, that's a cracking little program and working a treat here! Cheers!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information