+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Printer Management "List In Directory" tick box in Technical; We are adding printers as normal and ticking the "List In Directory" tick box but about 1 minute later they ...

Thank Post

Printer Management "List In Directory" tick box

We are adding printers as normal and ticking the "List In Directory" tick box but about 1 minute later they untick themselves. This is only happening on new printers we add, all the old printers which have the option ticked are staying ticked.

I cant find anything to figure out whats causing this, the only thing i can think of is that at the top level of the forest there is some sort of group policy overwriting it, but then surely it would affect the older printers?

can anyone help?

Thank Post
    Are you moving printers from an old server to a new one using the same names? Has anything else on the network changed?

What errors are you getting in your event logs?

Thank Post
    Nothing has changed on our domain but we are part of a forest with the College next door so im thinking they may have altered something highger up to affect us but thats a pretty vague guess so didnt want to go accusing before i had a better idea of the problem.

In the event logs my all it says if you tick the box to list in directory is "Printer <my printer> was set" and that is it. It will then untick itself about 30 seconds later but nothing appears in the event viewer to say it has been unticked.

Thank Post
    Check printer pruning settings on the policy applied to your DCs (computer config, admin templates, printers). Could be that "Allow pruning of published printers" has been set:

"By default, the pruning service on the domain controller prunes printer objects from Active Directory if the computer that published them does not respond to contact requests. When the computer that published the printers restarts, it republishes any deleted printer objects.

If you enable this setting or do not configure it, the domain controller prunes this computer's printers when the computer does not respond.

If you disable this setting, the domain controller does not prune this computer's printers. This setting is designed to prevent printers from being pruned when the computer is temporarily disconnected from the network."

I'd also check replication and communication between the DCs and print server.

Thank Post
    well so far there is nothing configured for our DC's in group policy relating to pruning of printers. So im thinknig as the College next door to us who are part of our forest and have enterprise level control of the entire forest there, have updated all their servers to 2008 this summer, that its something to do with them. so ill "try" and get hold of them i guess

Thank Post
    i have just realised that a few weeks ago we migrated our 2nd DC to a new piece of hardware by taking an image and then applying the image into the new hardware. Do you think this could be the cause of the problem and if so can you reccomend any steps to follow to try and check to see if it is that?

Thank Post
    Unless something happened during imaging I wouldn't have thought so as the new server should be a clone of the old one with identical SIDs. Done it a few times myself and not had an issue.

Might want to try temporarily removing the server as a Global Catalog, wait a couple of hours and add it back to refresh the AD objects.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread