+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Fancy a challenge ? in Technical; Fancy a challenge ? I think it's a dodgy bit of disk management quota software I tried, then un-installed after ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

Fancy a challenge ?

Fancy a challenge ?
    I think it's a dodgy bit of disk management quota software I tried, then un-installed after it hung - but a quick google flags up hardware !! I've checked the server and can't find any problems.....

The reason supplied by user *******\Administrator for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: System Failure: Stop error
    Reason Code: 0x805000f
    Bug ID:
    Bugcheck String: 0x000000d4 (0xb7666a44, 0xd0000002, 0x00000001, 0x808444e7)
    Comment: 0x000000d4 (0xb7666a44, 0xd0000002, 0x00000001, 0x808444e7)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    As you've probably already found, bugcheck d4 is SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_ UNLOAD

So I think your initial assessment of the software you tried is probably correct, especially if it used some kind of filter driver to enforce the quotas. Run the minidump through WinDbg (or if you can post the minidump, I can have a quick look for you).

Care to name and shame the software?

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

mattx (3rd August 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    As you've probably already found, bugcheck d4 is SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_ UNLOAD

So I think your initial assessment of the software you tried is probably correct, especially if it used some kind of filter driver to enforce the quotas. Run the minidump through WinDbg (or if you can post the minidump, I can have a quick look for you).

Care to name and shame the software?
    Most certainly:

WinQuota Software - WinQuota Overview

Avoid like the plague !!
    Reason I was looking at it is I've just migrated around 100 Gig of user files over to SAN - and I was investigating some quota options. At the moment I just run WinDirStat but was thinking of something else. I'll check out how to use the 2003 quota software but I don't think that will take into consideration the data I've copied over already.
    Maybe a safer option will be to schedule a WinDirStat via a command line [ if you can ] and get it to mail me the results....
    Just checked the dump file - 216 meg !! [ Kernal ]
    Minidmp - empty.....Grrrrrrrr
    Last edited by mattx; 3rd August 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Thank Post
    If you're on 2003 R2 (and depending on how you're mounting the storage - iSCSI IIRC?), have a poke around at the Fileserver tools. There's a few pre-canned reports that can email to whoever or you can build your own.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    If you're on 2003 R2 (and depending on how you're mounting the storage - iSCSI IIRC?), have a poke around at the Fileserver tools. There's a few pre-canned reports that can email to whoever or you can build your own.
    Care to elaborate in regards to the pre-canned reports or command line driven ones ? On checking, WinDirStat won't do command line reports which is all I want so I can schedule it.
    Just going to see what Mark Russinovich's disk usage is like.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    WinQuota does indeed install a filter driver to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\quotax2.sys

My guess would be it interacted with a storage driver in an unexpected way. As long as it doesn't happen again, chalk it up to experience.

8. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

mattx (3rd August 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    WinQuota does indeed install a filter driver to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\quotax2.sys

My guess would be it interacted with a storage driver in an unexpected way. As long as it doesn't happen again, chalk it up to experience.
    Won't be risking it !!
    I'll use DU - I'll schedule a "du -l 1 c:\>c:\du.txt" type command on the share and then use Blat to mail it to me every Mon, Wed and Fri - that way I will be able to spot any user taking the pi55 and then use Windirstat to break it down further.

For anyone else:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896651.aspx

Great little tool.
    Last edited by mattx; 3rd August 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Care to elaborate in regards to the pre-canned reports or command line driven ones ? On checking, WinDirStat won't do command line reports which is all I want so I can schedule it.
    Just going to see what Mark Russinovich's disk usage is like.....
    It's under Admin Tools > File Server Resource Manager > Storage Reports Management.

Pre-canned, you've got:

Duplicate Files
    File Screening Audit*
    Files by File Group (i.e executables, backup files, compressed files, office files etc - you can create custom groups in File Screening Management)
    Files by Owner
    Large Files
    Least Recently Accessed Files
    Most Recently Accessed Files
    Quota Usage

Exports to DHTML, html, xml, csv or txt.

When creating the report there's an "email to whoever" checkbox and text field for an email address.

*File screens let you log when certain file types are saved in certain places (or alternatively prevent them from being saved).

11. Thanks to pete from:

mattx (3rd August 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also one thing to note Matt is if you do go down the FSRM route you cant transfer the quota templates from 2003->2008+ (just a fyi) and also the quotas are saved on the actual ntfs meta stream for files and folders.
    Aka if you had it on a second drive on a server per say and dropped that drive into a new server (LUNS are the same) although the templates wouldnt move the actual applied quotas would, they just wouldnt be linked to templates.
    FSRM is what we use (now on 2008 R2 from a 2003 R2 migration) and its very good but due to it storing the actual settings of folders/files etc in the ntfs meta stream for said file/folder when you have a lot of quotas (16k+ for us) it can take up to 30 minutes just to list them all as they are not in a database as such.
    Another cool thing FSRM can do is block certain file extensions (or silently email) being dropped into shares etc. We use it to prevent exe's being saved and bats etc which is very useful.

13. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

mattx (4th August 2010)

Thank Post
    FSRM came with 2003 R2 if memory serves me right ? As we are only on the first RC of 2003 I think what I'll do is skip quota stuff until next year as then I'm hoping to move up to 2008 & Windows 7. This should be our last year of XP/2003 - and with the SAN in place I'll look at VM too.
    I'll setup DU with some schedules and then a macro so it compares results in a spreadsheet 3 times a week - i think a year like this should not be too hard to manage......but there again.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread