+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Mandatory profile Problem in Technical; Having never used them , i hope some one here can help Making a new desktop image for all my ...

Thank Post

Mandatory profile Problem

Having never used them , i hope some one here can help

Making a new desktop image for all my clients , everything is done , this is the most important and last thing to do !

demoted my 'testing profile' to user and had it copied over to the server as a mandatory profile , allowing Everyone access using the copyto feature in windows to a share.

renamed ntuser.dat to NTuser.man

made a test account , and set the profile path to the server share . on the share i allowed every one full access and under security users have full access.

The problem
    The test user logs in and it pulls down the Mandatory profile ( i can verify this after .. by logging into the admin account and viewing the profile in profiles )

i can then create folders files etc on the desktop and log out ( seems to take a while?)

i can then log back in , it has not removed anything i have created on the desktop.

If i then go and reboot the machine .. and then log back in all the files are now deleted and it pulls down the profile again .

I assumed at every logon the files and changes i make should be deleted ( desktops are not redirected btw )

Please help as its driving me mad making this desktop image !

Thank Post
    windows often seems to leave copies on a pc till reboot (or even never delete them as files dont close gracefully on logoff. aparantly adding users to the domain guest group can help with this but it seems to be a bug introduced with sp3 i believe

btw users only need read access to the profile

3. Thanks to sted from:

2097 (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    thanks for the info , just set the share information as a quicky to rule out the problem

am i to understand that this is a normal problem then ? or is something broken with the way i have set this up !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
    thanks for the info , just set the share information as a quicky to rule out the problem

am i to understand that this is a normal problem then ? or is something broken with the way i have set this up !
    normal i find without a batch file to clean out profiles i can end up with users not being able to log on to certain pcs as docs and settings ends up with user/user.domain/user.domain.00/user.domain.001... and it eventually gives up

Thank Post
    solved it using the Hive cleanup application .

i had used it before when apache was keeping open some registry entrys open in my old job

So looks like its now fixed

thanks for your replys Sted

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    normal i find without a batch file to clean out profiles i can end up with users not being able to log on to certain pcs as docs and settings ends up with user/user.domain/user.domain.00/user.domain.001... and it eventually gives up
    Having looked around a few of the machines here , there seems to be loads and loads of these 002 002 etc were i assume this problem has been here before !... lucky i remade this image and profile
    Last edited by 2097; 2nd August 2010 at 01:55 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread