+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Moving Servers To Different Hardware in Technical; An unamed shambles of a support company, lets call Shamesys, decided that when they setup our school that it would ...

Thank Post

Moving Servers To Different Hardware

An unamed shambles of a support company, lets call Shamesys, decided that when they setup our school that it would be a good idea to install our 2nd domain controller onto a server with a single P4 cpu, 1 hard drive and no RAID controller in it even if you didnt want to be crazy and consider backing it up.

This was while at the same time a dual Xeon server with a RAID controller was available and instead they decided to install Policy Central Enterprise solely on this server.

We now want to swap the 2 about, the P4 server uses SCSI hard drives while the Xeon Server is using SATA.

Can anyone suggest what we be the best and easiest way to go about swapping each? Its worth noting the PCE software isnt too important we can deal with having to rebuild that from a fresh windows install but the DC we really don't want to be rebuilding from a fresh Windows install if we can help it.

Oh and both are on server 2003.

Thank Post
    If you are using hardware that is that old then you may wish to consider looking at upgrading your servers entirely (let alone just swapping the OSes around).
    If you looked at the energy consumption you may find that you could move both of these servers onto a new single Virtulised server setup (plenty of posts on here about that) and make a long term saving.

Thank Post
    Dunno if you had any joy with this, but I've used Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery to migrate a server hardware platform (Restore to dissimilar hardware). Bloody expensive, but it works a treat, and takes a lot of teh hassle out of intricacies of migration.

Thank Post
    BESR - Not that expensive as you can use it for free for 60 days....
    Plenty long enough to make sure it works for you....

A 5 server starter kit with 10 workstations and Granular Restore Option for SQL and Exchange is about £1100 on Academic Purchase.

I use it all the time and it rocks... Saved my iTunes library in seconds after a stupid mistake... Try it.

Thank Post
    Yeah, but you need a key to use the Recovery Disc and Bare metal restore feature. You don;t get a key with the Trial. I suppose £1100 isn;t that expensive for disaster recovery or a migration solution ;-)

Thank Post
    Not sure what the requirements of the policy central are (backup wise) but if its pretty simple to back up the settings etc... I would take the following route.

Backup then wipe the server with Policy Central, install Windows and promote to DC, let replication take place so its as up to date as the P4. (Leave it overnight if you are scared)

Wipe the P4 and install Policy Central, recover backups etc....

AD will be a lot more important.

Si

Thank Post
    You could also do a vmware converter to capture the server, do this out of hours. Find a good pc and install vmware server to run your captured server from. You can test all is working on the vm by switching of your older server. Install your new OS on the old server and join the domain now held on the vmware server and migrate the domain over.

Main thing would be to check backups/recovery before starting.

I have a few single server setups and do this if they need OS update.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What else is the DC running and do any services on other machines specifically referenece that DC?

Have you considered simply adding the DC role onto the better box, and then demoting the P4?

If you have to migrate to new hardware, a 'hard' way is an ASR NTBackup to an external disk. Install WS onto the Dual Xeon with all the necessary drivers then doing a full, but non authorative restore of the DC on to that. It may be necessary to subsequently run a repair install from the CD/DVD to ensure the resulting machine boots, but sometimes not.

Finally if the Xeon has enough grunt - you could looking installing Hyper-V Server and using the migration tools.

Just realise how old this thread is. Hope the last five posts add to the pool of collective wisdom as delivered by Google. It would be interesting to here what Farquea ended up doing.

Thank Post
    Ahh, necro from a few months ago.

Didnt even realise once i saw a few posts saing "yesterday" etc... so i went ahead and posted

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread