+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, 3 Simultaneous Remote Connections To a Server in Technical; We have recently installed an app management server where all IT staff can log on and have 1 centralised place ...

Thank Post

3 Simultaneous Remote Connections To a Server

We have recently installed an app management server where all IT staff can log on and have 1 centralised place where all software and tools are available. However there are 3 members of staff here who will need to be logged on all day.

As i understand windows only allows by default 2 simultaneous connections. To have 3 or more does it mean i have to install the Terminal Server role and then purchase a CAL or CALs for these connections, would it be 3 (one for each of us) or just 1 extra?

Thank Post
    What 'app management' software are you using?
    If its something like System Centre you may find that you can install the client management software on your technicians PCs that way you wouldnt need to RDP into the server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. Is it terminal services you are using or just a client interface such as a webmin?

Thank Post
    its nothing specific, but rather than having AD, and exchange tools installed on our desktop PCs we just decided that if we bundled everything onto one server that it would make things a lot easier espeically for the new member of staff who is starting as previously we would jump from server to server to access certain things, now most things, and eveyrthing the new technician will need can all be accessed from this 1 server.

Thank Post
    and yep just RDP'ing onto it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    its nothing specific, but rather than having AD, and exchange tools installed on our desktop PCs we just decided that if we bundled everything onto one server that it would make things a lot easier espeically for the new member of staff who is starting as previously we would jump from server to server to access certain things, now most things, and eveyrthing the new technician will need can all be accessed from this 1 server.
    Would something like Remote Server Admin tools work here?
    You can create custom management consoles which you can use to bring together multiple Windows Server controls like Active Directory, GPOs, DHCP - it can connect to multiple servers at the same time as well if you have things well distributed.

Thank Post
    VNC.. there are various flavours - each with their own merits UltaVNC looked OK last time I used it..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carvjo View Post
    VNC.. there are various flavours - each with their own merits UltaVNC looked OK last time I used it..
    I suspsect the OP wants 3 independant remote sessions rather than 3 users fighting to remote control a single session.

We have this arrangement where I work (all management tools installed on terminal servers) and it works. Having said that, it's far from an optimal experience for the user. I don't know the ins and outs of terminal server licensing, but it may be as simple as installing the terminal server role and buying a handful of licences. How much is a TS CAL (sorry, Remote Desktop CAL) anyway? A couple of s?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton View Post
    I suspsect the OP wants 3 independant remote sessions rather than 3 users fighting to remote control a single session.

We have this arrangement where I work (all management tools installed on terminal servers) and it works. Having said that, it's far from an optimal experience for the user. I don't know the ins and outs of terminal server licensing, but it may be as simple as installing the terminal server role and buying a handful of licences. How much is a TS CAL (sorry, Remote Desktop CAL) anyway? A couple of s?
    Yes - that makes sense - silly me! - There is a 120 day trial period after installing TS before the licences must be applied - so it would be possible to test this without spending any money.. If you have a Schools 3 or similar, your licencing agent should be able to get TS CALS for a few pound each on an annual licence, or a few tens of pounds to buy them.

Thank Post
    the question is am i buying 1 extra remote desktop cal or 3, 1 for all 3 of us? I HATE MS licensing with a passion, its so unclear most of the time.

Thank Post
    You should be able to have 2 connections normally eg
    Code:
    mstsc -v:server
    and squeeze in a third using

Code:
    mstsc -console -v:server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You should be able to have 2 connections normally eg
    Code:
    mstsc -v:server
    and squeeze in a third using

Code:
    mstsc -console -v:server
    I thought about this yesterday but can only get 2 on even using your command and the one i found on google yesterday of mstsc -v:server -console and i think i read somewhere that you could no longer do it but that may of been something else.

Can you get 3 logons on a server using the console command out of interest?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    I thought about this yesterday but can only get 2 on even using your command and the one i found on google yesterday of mstsc -v:server -console and i think i read somewhere that you could no longer do it but that may of been something else.

Can you get 3 logons on a server using the console command out of interest?
    I thought I could. I will check tomorrow. My colleague always seems to have 2 sessions open! So I always use -console. This option is the same as logging on locally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I thought I could. I will check tomorrow. My colleague always seems to have 2 sessions open! So I always use -console. This option is the same as logging on locally.
    humm yeah i know cos i can go next door and log on in the server room but just cant get it to work through mstsc. maybe its down to newer versions of mstsc or because im on windows7 maybe? i dunno.

Thank Post
    Mine are currently XP to 2003.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast