+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Exchange 2003 Recipient Policy in Technical; OK so I think I have created a bit of a mess. I downloaded a TEC sheet from RM on ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2003 Recipient Policy

OK so I think I have created a bit of a mess.
    I downloaded a TEC sheet from RM on "How to add an additional domain to a Microsoft Exchange server."

It seemed easy enough and I added the extra 4 new domains in the recipient policy. This then updated to all users but the new domains were using the alias rather than the current naming scheme, for example:

Current: InitialSurname@domain.com
    New domains: Alias@domain2.com

In an effort to make all the emails the same (InitialSurname) I used a replacement string: How to Modify an SMTP E-Mail Address by Using Recipient Policies.

I then found out that it is not recommended to add more domains in the default recipient policy so I removed them and created a new policy with the new domains and replacement strings. It then appeared that Exchange got confused and was adding email addresses to users all over the place so I cut my losses and removed the domains to start again, leaving only the default there as before.

Turns out that 24 hours later and after rebuilding/applying the recipient policy and RUS the new SMTP addresses are still in the users mailboxes with the wrong naming scheme. Is there a way I can remedy this? Have I got to go through each user individually to edit them?

Please excuse my poor explanation but I am soon to be entering panic mode.
    Thanks all in advance.
    gl3nnym

Thank Post
    Hi All

I understand that things can slow down during the holidays but does anybody have any idea on what I can do? I am a bit lost short of editing all users individually.

Thank You.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I'm assuming that the new domain was set up in the recipient policy as:
    %1g%s@domain2.com?

Once this is set up expand Recipient Update Services and right click on the relevant domain. Then click update now

Apologies if you have already done this. You can set the new domain as primary to make sure the changes are populating through AD.

Regards
    Nick

Thank Post
    Hi NickDay85.

Yes that is how it was set up and the address was populating correctly through AD. Problem is I now want to REMOVE the changes I made and go back to having just the one address for everyone.

Thanks
    gl3nnym

Thank Post
    Bump.

Again I know this is a quiet period but is anybody able to offer a desperate person some advice? Kinda need to get this fixed.

Thank You

Thank Post
    Hi

There is a program called ADModify.net (which can be found here: ADModify.NET is here! - You Had Me At EHLO... - Site Home - TechNet Blogs or on codeplex).I have not used it before for the changes you need to make so i can only suggest theoretically, so it may be worth just trying it on one or two users first.

This should help you:

1. Select 'Modify attributes'
    2. Select your domain in the domain drop down list
    3. Select a Domain controller in the Domain controller list
    4. Then alter the filter options, i.e. just users
    5. Click the arrow to start searching - This will then show you your domain so you can browse through and select the OU's
    6. When you select it, you can then add it to the list, which will then copy over all the users ldap paths to the pane on the right.
    7. When all the ou's / users are in the right pane you can select specific ones to alter or select all (via the button) and press next
    8. This window is similar to the user properties dialogue in ADUC, and you should see email address's and from here remove the domain names, unfortunately you can only remove one address at a time. Just put the address to remove in the same format as it describes at the top.

I have used this tool on exchange 2003 myself in the past so it should work. Good luck and hope it helps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread