+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, windows server 2003 network. want to install a program on 1 pc. in Technical; Hello. need your help urgently. i am installing a program onto one Laptop which is used by the SEN dept. ...

Thank Post

windows server 2003 network. want to install a program on 1 pc.

Hello.
    need your help urgently. i am installing a program onto one Laptop which is used by the SEN dept. The software is licensed for one pc and is called Clicker 5.
    So i logged onto the computer as the Administrator installed the program and all is fine. however when i log off then log back in as Teacher onto the network the Clicker program is not available. how do i make it available to the Teacher profile. i cant put the short cut into the teacher desktop either. what have i done wrong, i know its simple but i cant think. Please can you guys help ASAP. im only in till 4 today then back in September. so would like to resolve this today.
    Thanks in advance.
    Have a great summer holiday guys.
    Bats

Thank Post
    Clicker is nice software as it is concurrent licensing, so technically you can install it on every PC. So long as it isn't used by more than one person at a time you will then be fine (that is what I got told by Clicker when I enquired recently about more licenses, so saved me a bundle!).

Anyway, the best way I've found is to deploy it via GPO using Crick Softwares Network installer tool (which I believe is on the Clicker 5 Disk normally). It basically takes you through an admin install and creates a nice MSI for you to deploy to the network then. If you want it to just the one machine, then simply set that GPO to only be accessible by that one machine.

This is the e-mail I got from Crick when I enquired:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your e-mail and interest in Clicker 5. Our licences are concurrent licences. This allows you to put it on the whole network and then use Clicker 5 on as many machines as you have licences for.

One of the most cost effective ways of buying a large amount of Clicker 5 Licences is to buy a 30 user bundle. For just Clicker 5 this costs 699 and for Clicker 5 and Paint for 30 user bundle costs 899.

If there is a convenient time to ring you then I would be happy to discuss this with you.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Heather Niven
    01604 671 691
    Hope that helps

Thank Post
    Thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated. i am going to try the network install now. so give me 10 minutes and i'll let you know how i got on thanks. Watch this space!!
    Bats

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,602 Posts
    You can of course simply drop the shortcut onto the teacher's desktop.

It sounds as if you want it to appear in the Start Menu.

The start menu will be redirected, probably, and will be somewhere on your server... in our case it would be in Apps$\Start Menus\Staff Start Menu... you'll need to add the shortcut to the appropriate part of that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bats View Post
    Thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated. i am going to try the network install now. so give me 10 minutes and i'll let you know how i got on thanks. Watch this space!!
    Bats
    No worries. Just happened to refresh the page when it came up and it's something I've been looking at recently so ... lol ..

Thank Post
    just installed it onto the server, and now going to install onto the laptop which is connected to the network.
    touch wood (my head) all will be fine
    Bats

Thank Post
    Hi, what im i doing wrong. Installed it onto the server and it created a MSI. logged onto laptop and navigated to the msi on the server, ran it and all ok. desktop icon appeared. restarted the computer, logged on as Teacher and no desktop icon. checked in start-Programs and nothing.
    how do i get it onto the desktop.

Thank Post
    Log onto the local computer as administrator, copy the desktop icon from the administrator desktop to the redirected start menu and/or the teacher's desktop (server copy) from there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Log onto the local computer as administrator, copy the desktop icon from the administrator desktop to the redirected start menu and/or the teacher's desktop (server copy) from there.
    ^ That ^

Or, if you know how to deploy apps via GPO on the 2003 Server, do it that way, it defaults to putting an icon in the right places normally ..

Thank Post
    HI, Logged in as Administrator, and tried to copy the short cut to Teacher desktop by opening up custom folders.
    i went \\HS-Server\Staffcustomfolders\desktop, This opens up the Teacher profile desktop and tried to copy it there and im getting a message "Cannot copy Clicker5: Access Denied--- Make sure disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.
    Bats

Oh the answer the other option that Aptproductions stated about doing theorugh GPO. sorry i havent a clue how to do that.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    I won't start teaching GPO Installs now (there are help files out there on Microsoft which I'll try and dig out) as you're short on time ..

The other option is to log in as a teacher and install it using the runas command.

So, basically, log in, doing [START] > R (or Windows Key + R) and type the following:

runas /user:administrator "msiexec -i \\path\to\msi\file.msi"
    obviously replacing the administrator with a user that has administrator rights on the machine (or if on the network DOMAINNAME\AdminUser) and then when you run it, it'll prompt you for the password.

That should basically install it for you on the teachers account as though you were admin.

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Thank you all for your help.
    i have finally sorted it. I Logged on as Administrator, copied the short cut to a pen drive, went to the server and navigated to the Teacher profile custom desktop and copied into that.
    went back to the laptop, logged on as teacher and hey presto it was there and works fine.
    What a load of hassel. i must learn an easier way.
    Thanks again and im off home now to my lovely wife and dustbin lids.
    Back in September now, so have a lovely summer. i'll still be logging on so dont worry.
    Bats

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bats View Post
    Back in September now, so have a lovely summer. i'll still be logging on so dont worry.
    Bats
    Have a good one!

Thank Post
    Glad you got there in the end

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread