+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Creating a new user account in Windows Server 2003 in Technical; Good afternoon everyone. This is my first post on edugeek so please be gentle with me I am currently employed ...

Thank Post

Creating a new user account in Windows Server 2003

Good afternoon everyone. This is my first post on edugeek so please be gentle with me

I am currently employed in a military training school, and have been burdened with the horrible job of maintaining the schools' server and IT equipment....however I have received NO IT training whatsoever, although the handover from my colleague (who is now retired and sunning himself somewhere nice) consisted of a quick lesson on how to log on to the server, and a folder containing (most!) of the stuff I'd be likely to need.

I have been doing this since the end of Feb and so far everything has gone relatively smoothly but now I am about to throw a PC across the room because it is not doing what I want it to!

I am trying to create a new User Account. I have been able to get an account made on the server (Windows Server 2003) using Active Directory.

The instructions then have me log on to a client PC (running Windows XP Pro) with the new username and password. However I then get a couple of windows opening displaying the following messages:
    Your roaming profile is not available. You are logged on with the locally stored profile etc

and

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile etc

The PC then lets me in, and goes through the Personalized Settings.

I then have a blank screen to play with. I then have to go into My Documents > Properties to the Target tab and enter the following: :\Server02\MyDocuments\username

Click Apply and then create a folder etc.

Next step is to go into My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drives. Select N as the drive letter and click Browse. Navigate to DMSNet\Server02\Data and click OK. Click Finish.

The instructions then tell me to log off and log back on again.....and I then get the annoying windows about roaming profiles etc again, and have to start every thing all over again!

This is really annoying as there must be a simple solution to this task (I hope!!).

I have been telling my line management for months now that I need correct IT training, and have even secured some pretty good quotes for A+, N+ and Supporting Windows XP Desktop courses, but as with all things military: There is no bloody money!!

I am going on a four month holiday later in the year to somewhere hot so there will be no IT support once I'm away....I pray for the system to crash after I've gone...

Many thanks for any assistance from a very grateful crab!

Thank Post
    96 hits and no one can offer advice?
    Please help before I do some serious damage this PC!

Thank Post
    Hi there,

In your Active Directory look at a "working" user and see if they have a profile / home directory defined and if so check this against your new user to make sure yours matches it.

EDIT: Welcome to Edugeek, I'm surprised you've not had any replies, you must have caught us all off guard when you posted

Thank Post
    In Active Directory you can also "copy" a user. This will essentially create a new user with a new profile/directory but use the same characteristics as the user you copied from. This is handy if you want to create an identical user type but with different names/profiles.

It might be worth creating this user again using the copy function.

5. Thanks to gl3nnym from:

kmount (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gl3nnym View Post
    In Active Directory you can also "copy" a user. This will essentially create a new user with a new profile/directory but use the same characteristics as the user you copied from. This is handy if you want to create an identical user type but with different names/profiles.

It might be worth creating this user again using the copy function.
    Good advice there.

Thank Post
    Is this the first new user you have created? If so, check it with an existing user to see what settings they hold. You can check to see what groups are specified to ensure your new user has the same privalleges as your existing ones and also uses if you use a logon script. If you do use a logon script, you will want to open it up and look at what it does to give you an idea what is going on during the logon process.

Edit: Same answer as above - I obviously take too long typing my responce
    Last edited by penfold; 22nd July 2010 at 11:07 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread