+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, WDS Only wants to deploy x86 images in Technical; I have been messing with WDS on my 2003 server as i was used to using RIS in the past. ...
    Thank Post

WDS Only wants to deploy x86 images

I have been messing with WDS on my 2003 server as i was used to using RIS in the past. I have got XP working well with WDS but have a strange issue with Windows 7 at the minute.

I have boot images for deploying and capturing 7. I have install images (base images from DVDs) for Windows 7 both x86 and x64 in WDS.

When i hit f12 on a core2 duo laptop (which is definitely able to run x64 as it has in the past) and network boot, i choose to "deploy Vista/7" and after putting in my password and username to connect to the server, my images are shown. The problem is the images are all the x86 ones.

The x64 are there in WDS next to the x86 but are not shown after i get to this stage. I have tried to disable the x86 ones in WDS to see if the others then show but no joy. I thought it was because my boot image was loading a x86 boot image and that was why it was showing only the x86 install images but i don't think that is right either because... I can capture a x64 Windows 7 image using the x86 capture boot image and also deploy the x64 captured image as a x64 OS using the x86 boot deploy.

Why would the x86 capture and deploy boot images work great to capture and deploy x64 machines and not show the base wims taken from the DVD? Am i right to even say you do not need to use a x64 boot image at all? Or am i horribly wrong and i need a x86 boot image to capture and another x64 boot image alongside it. Then 2 again of each architecture for deploying?

It annoys me that i have to create and image of a x64 machine before i can deploy it yet i can deploy the x86 ones straight off.

Tell me i am doing something really stupid. I have checked up on the net about this and there were various problems similar to mine but nothing seemed to work or match the problem i was having.

So to recap, my x86 capture boot image can capture x64 fine. It can also deploy the x64 captured image. It will not show the x64 base images i took from the 7 dvd the same way i did with the x86 ones. It only shows the x86.

Any one with some ray of light?

Cheers
    Last edited by dalsoth; 14th July 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Thank Post
    You need an x64 boot image.
    The capture process is just creating and copying an image, so it doesn't need an x64 boot, the install need to be run in x64 so you need an x64 boot image for that.

Thank Post
    what he said - you need the boot image from an x64 Windows DVD...

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, I swear i have tried this and it kept booting to the x86 anyway but I am willing to give it another go..... <fires up server>..... will post back with results.

Thank Post
    Make sure you dont have the x86 boot image set as the default for x64 clients in the WDS Server properties...

Thank Post
    I remember now as it has happened again. I pulled the win 7 pro x64 boot wim from the dvd and added it to WDS as a boot image. Renamed it deploy 7 x64 and when i fire up my laptop and select f12 i can only see the old x86 boot images and not this new x64 bit one. I restarted WDS and no change. I double checked the boot tab in WDS server properties which has the boot\x64\pxeboot.com for x64 architecture and boot\x86\pxeboot.com for x86 architecture.

The laptop definitely can handle x64 and has had it installed in the past, if this was not the case i would have assumed it was because it was not a x64 capable machine.

Any advice?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    what he said - you need the boot image from an x64 Windows DVD...
    actually you dont ive captured and deployed 64 bit win7 from x86 boot files in wds it dosent care

there is a "bug" where the pc can misdetect whether it x64 capable and hide the x64 images i have fixed it before for mdt but atm i cant remember how

• x64-based client computers do not receive an x64 Windows PE boot image. This can occur if the PXE basic input/output system (BIOS) implementation of the network booting computer does not correctly identify itself as being capable of working with x64-based computers. To work around this issue, enable architecture detection in the boot programs. To do this, run this command on your WDS server:

WDSUTIL /set-server /architecturediscovery:yes
    Last edited by sted; 14th July 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: found answer

Thank Post
    Cheers for the reply. I have read about the bugs with it not showing one or the other architecture but i could not get it working. I tried that command and it succeeds but i can still only see the x86 images after restarting WDS and f12 on laptop again. I may just reinstall the server soon and give it another go. It is annoying though. As i said, i can install a x64 image manually with a DVD then capture and deploy it through WDS using my x86 capture/deploy boot images but it will not show the x64 install wim images that i added from the DVD.

Oh and another thought, for XP, i did not want to use RIS mixed mode so i installed XP locally using a CD, then sysprep and captured in WDS as a wim. Is this how you guys would do it if you wanted to use WDS native and deploy a clean source XP wim? Can i also use WSIM to create an XML answer file for an XP Wim?? I know i can just create a fully set up XP image with everything already done then deploy it but i liked the idea of having a base image for XP like the ones you get from the Vista/7 DVDs.

Thank Post
    Are you running WDS in Native mode?

For XP i usually use MT 2010 to deploy XP - this allows me to inject the necessary drivers into the install at the same time, then install any apps, then sysprep it back to WDS....

Thank Post
    Yeah, the Server 2003 CD i used to install my server was SP2 which defaults WDS to native mode. I did change it when i was testing in the past to mixed when i was messing with RIS still but decided to leave RIS behind as it cannot handle newer OS's. I intend to play around with MDT 2010 and have had a quick look at it a month or so ago but i believe it has had a few name changes in the past and guides on the net are confusing when you are trying to work out the names it used to be called or getting confused by these similar tools that are actually the same thing but just older before they were renamed.

Thank Post
    Hmmm... is your WDS Server x86 or x64? just wondering if that may have a bearing on things...

Thank Post
    Server is x86 but i am sure i had this working a few months ago and it was x86 then too. I have reinstalled my server many times as i play around with things like WSUS, WDS, RRAS etc.

It is not a major problem as i will probably reinstall and hopefully things will work out fine. This is just a test network after all. I just had queries about WDS because of this and also was not sure about needing to use a x64 boot image as everything i was doing indicated that a x86 boot images could capture and deploy x64 just fine. It looked prettier in WDS with a single image to capture and another single image to deploy Vista/7. Having another set for x64 looked a bit uglier. Yes i am strange!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Hmmm... is your WDS Server x86 or x64? just wondering if that may have a bearing on things...
    shouldn't do a lot of my x64 deploys have been from x86 servers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread