+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, NTFS permissions keep getting lost. in Technical; Hi Guys, Is there a comprehensive list of known issues which causes a server to lose NTFS folder permissions. This ...

Thank Post

NTFS permissions keep getting lost.

Hi Guys,

Is there a comprehensive list of known issues which causes a server to lose NTFS folder permissions. This is happening to us quite a bit and ususally after RM push out an update (not really blaming RM here as it may just be a setting?)

Any experiences of this and ideas gratefully welcomed

Andy T

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've *never* known a machine to "lose" NTFS permissions so this sounds like something drastic!

Can you give an example of the sort of thing which is changing? eg are sub-folders inheriting parent permissions when you thought that wasn't configured?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    Hi Guys,

Is there a comprehensive list of known issues which causes a server to lose NTFS folder permissions. This is happening to us quite a bit and ususally after RM push out an update (not really blaming RM here as it may just be a setting?)

Any experiences of this and ideas gratefully welcomed

Andy T
    Which drives/folders is it losing the permissions on? Is it all servers? We're RM here, and I've never come across anything like this.

Anything on the knowledge base?

Thank Post
    One thing to note. If files are moved on the same volume, then their permissions are not altered to reflect their new location, inherited permissions will not be propagated after the move. Moving between volumes and copying on the same volume will inherit the permissions of the target folder correctly.

Thank Post
    Ok the issue lies with the staff shared areas and any folder with non standard permissions (ie individuals from the non teaching group being give write permissions to a folder) and any non RM users disappear completely! We have tried moving the staff shared to other volumes and now on a new server where this issue still happens Grrrr! lol.

ajs

Thank Post
    Just out interest, does the issue occur after you run a health check on anything such as a user area or a Program Set?

I can't imagine it would but something sticks in my mind from my RM Training that talked about Health Checks resettings permissions.

Thank Post
    Make sure none of your teaching staff are members of any admin groups or have full control permissions over the staff shared area folders.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    I had a weird one last week which I never got to the bottom of.

Our Reception class lost permissions on their home folders. It was replaced by full control being given to their teacher (who has Modify via the teacher's permissions anyway)

It was the work of minutes to restore order, but I still don't know what happened.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Just out interest, does the issue occur after you run a health check on anything such as a user area or a Program Set?

I can't imagine it would but something sticks in my mind from my RM Training that talked about Health Checks resettings permissions.
    Its just has, we have had problems with learning resources and when SITSS just ran a health check the shared area has lost the permissions again :O

ajs

Thank Post
    Have the permissions been reset from your custom permissions or have they just been removed/reset entirely?

I recall something being mentioned that the permission reset was intended behaviour, probably as a way to discourage you from using anything other than RMMC to do anything. If you've got a valid RM support contract then TEC11439 although very brief may offer some suggestions for preventing the issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Have the permissions been reset from your custom permissions or have they just been removed/reset entirely?

I recall something being mentioned that the permission reset was intended behaviour, probably as a way to discourage you from using anything other than RMMC to do anything. If you've got a valid RM support contract then TEC11439 although very brief may offer some suggestions for preventing the issue.
    AJS - not entirely, just altered the shared area and as we suspected it is running a health check which does it, even if your HC'ing another area lol. RM are going to investigate - thanks

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    AJS - not entirely, just altered the shared area and as we suspected it is running a health check which does it, even if your HC'ing another area lol. RM are going to investigate - thanks
    Interesting how HCing sometimes causes more problems thatn it actually fixes ;-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread