+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, How would YOU handle this situation? (DC Replication Problem) in Technical; ...

Thank Post

How would YOU handle this situation? (DC Replication Problem)

Here's the situation.

You have 3 domain controllers

Server1 (PDC, all FSMO Roles)
    Server2 (Just an AD Replication Server)
    Server3 (Exchange 2003)

It appears that Server 1 and 3 are happily replicating to one another, however, Server2 doesnít want to know. Policy changes made on either Server 1 or 3 are replicated to one another, but Server2 isnít replicating with them...thus creating policy discrepancies.

Users who are logged on to the domain by Server2 receive out of date policies, and computers that receive their computer policy from Server2 also receive out of date policies.

Server2 by the way houses the staff home folders and roaming profiles.

This problem seems to have started this weekend, perhaps due to the fact that I removed some old and un-used policies via GPMC. A re-boot of all the servers has been done, but it didnít solve anything.

I think that pretty much covers the situation....how would you tackle it?

In my head, i pretty much know what the next step i want to takw is...but i want to know what you guys think first. Many thanks.

DCDIAG and FRSDIAG has been ran on the PDC, and the results can be seen in this thread - Some computer not updating their computer policy

Thank Post
    Gone into active directory sites and services?

on server2 try cmd -> NET TIME /DOMAIN:domain.local /SET

Thank Post
    So sysvol isn't replicating to server two.
    First place to look is in the FRS event logs (on all of the servers) and see what they're complaining about.

Thank Post
    Interistingly enough, when i do a manual replication in sites and services, every server replicates with the other two....with no errors. However, i've literally just checked the size of the "policies" folder of each DC. Server 1 and 3 have the exact same amount of files and folders in the policies folder...however, server2 has over 100MB more information in it (which is odd)

Thank Post
    Is that the same doing the FRSDiag?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is any replication happening (eg if you change a user's details does that replicate) - you can check by targeting AD Users and Computers on server 1, making a change and then targeting at server 2 and seeing if the change has gone through.

Run dcdiag to see what that says.

If all else fails it's quick and easy to just dcpromo server 2 back to a standalone server, wait about an hour for things to settle (probably not necessary with only 1 other DC but if you have a multi-site setup you must wait long enough for all sites to synch) and then dcpromo back.

The only time that this is a bad idea is when you have Exchange on a DC - it will break (and I think SQL server also breaks if it's on a DC which you dcpromo down/up) but from what you say there should be no problem.

Thank Post
    dcpromo was what i was thinking...but i didnt want to mention it until someone else did. My plan is to do what i can to try and fix it during work tomorrow, and if i get no where...i'll demote and then promote.

Edit - but i wanted to see what people here thought was the best step. I'll try anything before i do the dcpromo, so please keep the ideas coming

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Gone into active directory sites and services?

on server2 try cmd -> NET TIME /DOMAIN:domain.local /SET
    CMD isnt a strong point of mine, and i arent sure of the code i need to use to do this.

The FQN for our domain is cooper.intranet, and Server2 is actually called Cooperdata. Could you help me out with the exact code and switches?

Many many thanks

Thank Post
    No relevant errors anywhere..you sure?
    Next thing I might do if that really is the case is non-authoritative NTFRS recovery on server 2, backing up sysvol and deleting it's contents (*not* the folders) in the middle.
    Google for NTFRS and JOURNAL WRAP for info on this - the trick is to arrange it so that server 2 will get fresh sysvol contents from one of the two "good" DCs, as opposed to the other way around.

Thank Post
    This error exists on Server2.....

The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"
    Replica root path is : "c:\windows\sysvol\domain"
    Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:"
    A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one of the following reasons.

[1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted.
    [2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted.
    [3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal.
    [4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long time.
    [5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO activity on "\\.\C:".
    Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state.
    [1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File Replication Service.
    [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set.

WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly unavailable if this error condition occurs again.

To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click down the key path:
    "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameter s"
    Double click on the value name
    "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
    and update the value.

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as shown above.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thank Post
    That explains everything - thought it might be that - and it is not too hard to fix.

If you're paranoid then go to Server1 *or* Server3 and make a copy of the good sysvol there (with Explorer to some nearby temp folder).

Then do what the event says with that reg value on Server2 - it performs a non-authoritative restore i.e. Server2 will get the latest, greatest sysvol contents from one of the other servers.

Do set the reg value to 0 afterwards as instructed.

12. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

Thank Post
    Ace, i'll give that a go.

I soooooo want to crack on with this job now from home, however, if something goes wrong, i wont be able to sleep tonight without getting in my car and going to work at this hour lol. So, i'm going to do this first thing in morning.

Is this something you've personally come across before by any chance?

Thank Post
    One more thing, and i'm going to sound like a TOTAL n00b when i say this. When i read that guide in order to fix this, there are a number of words that i quite simply dont understand in their subjective context. Typical examples of this are "poll" and "replica set".

I dont suppose anyone would be so kind so simplify the steps in that "guide" for me?

Thank Post
    I couldnt help myself....so i've started the repair. It seems to be going through it alright. Is it a long job does anyone know?

Also, since the job started, the Sysvol folder on the server has gone (not literally...but it isnt showing up as a share anymore), will this come back automatically when the process finishes?

Thank Post
    The share does go away so it can't get used whilst it's being recreated, but should come back automatically and IME it should have all finished now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast