+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, How would YOU handle this situation? (DC Replication Problem) in Technical; Aye, all finished, and all working again now. Words can't describe how much of a weight off my shoulders this ...

Thank Post
    Aye, all finished, and all working again now. Words can't describe how much of a weight off my shoulders this is. Many thanks for the help

In the "new" sysvol folder, there is a folder called "Ntfrs Pre-Existing......see event log"....do i need this...or should i delete it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You almost certainly don't need it.

It's a copy of what was previously in sysvol on that server. That ought to be exactly the same as on the other server but replication wasn't working properly so it's not the same - the folder is kept in case there's anything on server2 that's not on server1. If you're pretty sure that replication was OK when you last made policy changes then just delete it (and even if you're not sure you can delete it; there's no easy way to get back the stuff in a usable form!)

The time command was shown wrongly in the example above - it should just be:
    Code:
    net time /domain /set
    - you don't specify the name of the domain at all (it doesn't make sense to give a domain name; what you're saying is "find the time source for my domain and set this machine to match"). You only need to do it if there's a time error (w32tm) in the event log. (Incidentally, Server2003 and later support the w32tm command - you just type:
    Code:
    w32tm /resync
    Finally, don't be afraid of dcpromo - provided that you've got at least one good working server as well as the one you're demoting there should be no problem. If you are worried, bring up another server (it can be virtual), dcpromo it so it is a DC and let it replicate. Once that's working OK you know you've got 2 working DCs and you can safely demote the other one.

Good to hear it's all OK now :-)

Thank Post
    I also think it's a copy of the files that were in sysvol on Server2, essentially a backup made before they were replaced by a copy from one of the other DCs.

Unless it is really big (why though?) and you don't have disk space, then being paranoid I would leave it alone until you're sure everything is fine and have done a server backup or two.

there's no easy way to get back the stuff in a usable form!
    I suppose you have to know what you're doing, but it's not that hard. Think this is more a case of MS wanting to minimise the messes careless people could make when fiddling, so they've left it all sounding a bit arcane and scary.

Thank Post
    Fair point, hard drive space is far from an issue on this server, so i think i'll just leave it well alone.

Thanks again for everyones help with this issue, you're all great.

bio
    Thank Post
    Good to see its fixed... a good tool to play with and troubleshoot replication issues is m$ replmon : Replmon Overview: Active Directory

regards
    bio..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12