+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Roaming Profiles Problem in Technical; Hi everyone For quite some time now, i've had issues with roaming profiles. This could have all stemmed from when ...

Thank Post

Roaming Profiles Problem

Hi everyone

For quite some time now, i've had issues with roaming profiles. This could have all stemmed from when i moved the said profiles from one server to another.

Anyway, when i create a new user account for a teacher (as these are the only users which have roaming profiles), i create the path for the home folder, and also the profile path. When i log on as the said user, i get an error saying "Your profile (read only) is not available. You are logged on with the locally stored profile".

I thought this was down to permisisons...in that they were wrong. However, i've created a whole new structure for profiles (used for only testing), and at every level in the structure right down to the individual profiles its self...i've specified that the "Everyone" group has "Full Control".

Any ideas where to start on this one?

I've tried to add an image of the error message to this thread...which i hope will work.

Many thanks to anyone who can provide any ideas.

Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    I should add at this point that the users in question have no issues what so ever saving work back to their home folders...which is odd...meaning that atleast some permissions are working as they should

Thank Post
    not sure if this is relivent, but have you made sure you have a default user profile within your netlogon folder so the PC knows what structure you want for the profiles. Might help but not sure.

Make sure in the profiles field within the AD for the users is using unc path and not a mapped drive (i.e \\fileserver\profiles$\JBlogs and not x:\profiles\jblogs) and that the user have read/write access to the profiles folder. Via a GPO you can set the owner of the profile to have exculsive rights aswell.

Also I would delete all local profiles from the workstation you are trying except your administrators one then restart and try and logon with the new user.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    not sure if this is relivent, but have you made sure you have a default user profile within your netlogon folder so the PC knows what structure you want for the profiles. Might help but not sure.
    Ah, i dont have a profile in the Netlogon folder...but i'll give it a go. What would i call the folder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjwilkinson View Post
    Ah, i dont have a profile in the Netlogon folder...but i'll give it a go. What would i call the folder?
    Just 'Default User'
    i.e.
    \\domain\netlogon\Default User

Build the profile up on a workstation and copy it over

Thank Post
    Yeah i've just tied that, and the issue remains I'm going to stay here late tonight to try and crack this one.

Thank Post
    Yeah i've just tied that, and the issue remains I'm going to stay here late tonight to try and crack this one.
    As a thought, you aren't doing something a little silly, like pointing to an admin share like d$ or something right? Your user's profile folder is like \\server\profiles$\students\2009\name.of.student ?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    As a thought, you aren't doing something a little silly, like pointing to an admin share like d$ or something right? Your user's profile folder is like \\server\profiles$\students\2009\name.of.student ?
    Yeah its a full UNC

I've only just noticed that there are a number of realted threads about this issue on this forum...and most if not all of them appear to be exactly the same issue as mine. So, i'm going to look through these too

Keep the ideas coming though guys

Thank Post
    Sorry aaron, the importance was that it was not pointing to a share such as d$, e$ which are created usually just as administrative shares, check the full unc path - what is your profile path?

Thank Post
    does not the "everyone" group only get permissions to the root, to go further to folders and sub folders you need to have domain users or something like that added to the the security permissions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Sorry aaron, the importance was that it was not pointing to a share such as d$, e$ which are created usually just as administrative shares, check the full unc path - what is your profile path?
    The profile path of a user i'm testing with is "\cooperdata\cooper-users\hc_staff\ProTest\Profile"

Thank Post
    I should point out at this stage that all current users work fine...but when i try to make new ones, i get this error.

Thank Post
    I should point out at this stage that all current users work fine...but when i try to make new ones, i get this error.
    Really does sound like the users don't have 'Create Folders/Append Data' permissions on the root folder

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prad View Post
    Really does sound like the users don't have 'Create Folders/Append Data' permissions on the root folder
    I'll check that permission...as i think you're right. However, the users have no issue with creating folders in their home folders manually (because if they couldnt, the school would go into meltdown)
    Last edited by Ambient; 25th May 2010 at 04:59 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast