+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Roaming Profiles Problem in Technical; Originally Posted by aaronjwilkinson I'll check that permissions...as i think you're right. However, the users have no issue with creating ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjwilkinson View Post
    I'll check that permissions...as i think you're right. However, the users have no issue with creating folders in their home folders manually (because if they couldnt, the school would go into meltdown)
    That's because when you create the user, Active Directory User and Computers creates the home folder and sets the permissions explicitly. However it never does this for the profiles folder.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prad View Post
    That's because when you create the user, Active Directory User and Computers creates the home folder and sets the permissions explicitly. However it never does this for the profiles folder.
    Thats an interesting point...and it was going to be my next question.

So when i make the home folder for the user, the path to it is "\\cooperdata\cooper-users\hc_staff\username" (i didnt pick that path, it was the guy before me...and i dont like it)

Then, when i make the profile path, its \\cooperdata\cooper-users\hc_staff\username\Profile". The only difference in this path of couse it the folder called "profile"...where the roaming profile should be stored. Now, should i then go into the newly created home folder by AD and manually create the "Profile" folder? or should it be made when the user logs on for the first time?

Thank Post
    its permissions...it has to be.

I've come home from work tonight and re-created the scenario on my domain (also 2003 and XP...just like at work) and its worked fine. However, the permissions on my home domain aren't as locked down etc...so i now need to figure out exactly where abouts in the file structure that the problem is.

Thank Post
    Wrote this a while ago now. IIRC, Microsoft suggest setting permissions on roaming profile root such that end users create their own roaming profiles. In this way, individual users become the 'owners' of their profiles.

Thank Post
    Interesting update:

I was working on it all last night until about 11:30, and then i got into work at 7:30 this morning and picked it up where i left off. I still haven't got any further (and thats after changing LOADS of permission settings and even going as far as creating a complete new folder structure)

Now, just this morning, i've added a profile path to the domain administrator account (its actually a copy of the "Administrator" account called "Siteadmin"), logged on, and i've got the same seemingly permissinos error????

I think this issue could well be a tad more then just regular permissions. I think there's something silly that i'm forgetting to do
    Last edited by Ambient; 26th May 2010 at 09:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Thats an interesting point...and it was going to be my next question.

So when i make the home folder for the user, the path to it is "\\cooperdata\cooper-users\hc_staff\username" (i didnt pick that path, it was the guy before me...and i dont like it)

Then, when i make the profile path, its \\cooperdata\cooper-users\hc_staff\username\Profile". The only difference in this path of couse it the folder called "profile"...where the roaming profile should be stored. Now, should i then go into the newly created home folder by AD and manually create the "Profile" folder? or should it be made when the user logs on for the first time?
    Morning. The roaming profile directory is created when the users logs on for the first time. This is why the user needs the create folder permission on the root folder. But considering the roaming profile folder is under the home folder (not good practice btw; I know you mentioned it was the previous guy) the premissions should be okay.

Have you tried creating a seperate share and setting the permission how i mentioned in my previous post and pointed the users roaming profile to the new share?

Thank Post
    Interesting update:

I was working on it all last night until about 11:30, and then i got into work at 7:30 this morning and picked it up where i left off. I still haven't got any further (and thats after changing LOADS of permission settings and even going as far as creating a complete new folder structure)

Now, just this morning, i've added a profile path to the domain administrator account (its actually a copy of the "Administrator" account called "Siteadmin"), logged on, and i've got the same seemingly permissinos error????

I think this issue could well be a tad more then just regular permissions. I think there's something silly that i'm forgetting to do
    Sorry, just seen this. Have you checked share permissions? (rather than regular permissions) when you create a share in windows 2003 and above, the 'Everyone' group only has read access by default.

Thank Post
    Aye, Everyone has "Full Control", and has done since pretty much the start of this issue I wish it was as simple as that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prad View Post
    Have you tried creating a seperate share and setting the permission how i mentioned in my previous post and pointed the users roaming profile to the new share?
    I've sort of tried this yeah...but making a totally new folder structure using the permissions stated by yourself and other. However, when i did this, i made the home folder the same too. So, what i think i'll do now is create a new share, and use it just for profiles...and i'll leave the home folder where they are at the moment.

I'll report back

Thanks for everyones help on this by the way.

Thank Post
    Nah, still no joy.

I think there is something seriously wrong here...and it goes beyond that of just NTFS and Share permissions. I've just created a folder called "Profiles" on the server and given the access you suggested...and i got the same error...and, i was using the administrator account to test with!

Thank Post
    This problem is driving me mad.

Just for the sake of it, I’ve allowed full control of the newly created "Profiles" folder to every group that my test account is a member of...and still I’m getting the same error. I honestly don’t know how this can be so. The user should he total admin control over the whole profiles folder. This is what makes me think that it can't be just a permissions problem (NTFS and Share level).

However, saying that. I used a user which sits in the default "Users" container of Active Directory (this was my administrator account), and I still had the same problem. This therefore eliminates the issue of it being a user policy...but perhaps it could be some sort of computer policy??????

Thank Post
    HOLD THE PHONE....

I think I’ve just figured it out.....

After going through a process of elimination, I realised that it probably wasn't just a permissions thing (NTFS and Share Level), and it can't be Active Directory user settings (because I tried it with a user who sits in the "Users" container)...and it still didn’t work.

Well, the only other logical explanation in this case is that some computer policy was being applied which was causing this problem. So, taking a step back, and doing a gpresult on a non-working computer...it appears that I’ve set a policy called "Prevent roaming profile changes from propagating to the server" at the "Student Machine Policy" level in Active Directory. The "Student Machine Policy" is an OU which contains further OU's for each of our ICT rooms (basically, every computer which a student is allowed to logon to).

Now, the fundamental FAIL on my part of that all of my testing has been done on computers who fall under this category...mainly because all the staff computers (which of course don’t conform to this policy) are always in use.

Well, after realising this...I think it’s now sorted. I'm going to do some more testing of course...but I think I’m there.

I knew it would have been something stupid that I’d done...I just knew it.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me.

Thank Post
    lol. If a had a £tenner for every time i've kicked myself for something similar I'd be a seriously black & blue millionaire.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I had a problem with Roaming Profiles the other day.............permission problems.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12