+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, SSL certificate internal/external problem... in Technical; Before I start, I admit I'm no server expert, but I was pretty pleased that I managed to installed a ...

Thank Post

Unhappy SSL certificate internal/external problem...

Before I start, I admit I'm no server expert, but I was pretty pleased that I managed to installed a new SSL cert on my server (courtesy of IPSCA - thanks for the hint) mainly for Outlook OWA. This fixed the SSL warning when accessing email from outside the school, but it's still complaining if the email is accessed from inside the school.

I guess this is not surprising really as the internal server name doesn't match the external url inside the certificate. My question is how do I fix this as I can't see how to add another certificate to IIS ? Any help appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vstar View Post
    Before I start, I admit I'm no server expert, but I was pretty pleased that I managed to installed a new SSL cert on my server (courtesy of IPSCA - thanks for the hint) mainly for Outlook OWA. This fixed the SSL warning when accessing email from outside the school, but it's still complaining if the email is accessed from inside the school.

I guess this is not surprising really as the internal server name doesn't match the external url inside the certificate. My question is how do I fix this as I can't see how to add another certificate to IIS ? Any help appreciated.
    Create an internal DNS entry pointing to the sub/domain name that the server name resolves to. Or if you are on an LEA wan they are normally able to setup an internal DNS entry to the wan for you to resolve to that address and have the external address point to the external Ip address.

Thank Post
    glennda,

My googling has failed me, as has adding random zones and A names to DNS management console. I've ended up with added a new zone under the forward lookup zones with the external FQDN and the ip address of the server, that didn't work, so I thought I may need a reverse lookup zone too, there's already one there for the subnet the server (and most of the clients) sits in, so I added a PTR. None of this has made any change.
    Any ideas or screen shots?

Thank Post
    Have you got Subject Alternative Names setup correctly for both the external address and you internal addresse?

our SSL for https://mail.moorsidehigh.com/owa has the following SAN's configured

DNS Name=<int>
    DNS Name=<int>.moorsidehigh.com
    DNS Name=autodiscover.moorsidehigh.com
    DNS Name=mail.moorsidehigh.com

Thank Post
    Where do you set the SANs up? I can't see anywhere in the DNS Management console (server 2003).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread