+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2000/2003 Thread, Need To Move The Network Documents Folder (Every User Account) in Technical; Ok I need to move the folder where all the students and staff documents are kept, has I need to ...
    Thank Post

Need To Move The Network Documents Folder (Every User Account)

Ok I need to move the folder where all the students and staff documents are kept, has I need to move this to another location while I upgrade the server from 2003R2 to 200R2

What the best way of doing this?

I believe each user has their own security rights for the own area and ofcourse we have admin rights of each folder.

How can I move all the folders with the security rights intact?

And what whould be the best case of changing the location path in the users properties for their area at the moment we have it set like \\server-1\home$\joebloggs

Is there some sort of variable I can use to just make it use for the username for where there folder is located ie there username is spongebob, so there location will be \\server-1\home$\spongbob

Thanks in advance

Also what the best way of transfering the dhcp service from 2003R2 to 2008R2

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could download the tool created my Ozan [ICTNUT] @ OPSoftware called EduMove. Info on EduGeek here: EduMove Is Here !

If you wanted to change permissions, add/edit/replace then i recommend you download the tool from WiseSoft Called NTFS Fix: http://www.wisesoft.co.uk/software/ntfsfix/default.aspx

___

Or/ thinking about it

What you could do is make a backup of the user areas, restore them to the new location and then change the properties in the AD User Accounts. As this is a backup/restore it will keep the security permissions intact also.

Normal Microsoft Backup will work fine.

James.

Thank Post
    Personally I would use the backup and restore option.

Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post

And what whould be the best case of changing the location path in the users properties for their area at the moment we have it set like \\server-1\home$\joebloggs

Is there some sort of variable I can use to just make it use for the username for where there folder is located ie there username is spongebob, so there location will be \\server-1\home$\spongbob
    Sorry but I don't understand what you're after here?

Thank Post
    I would simply change the path in Active Directory, this will create the new folder structure, then simply copy the old folders over the new.

To add on the admin group again just use cacls or icacls which are already built into windows. (if you use cacls make sure you use the edit switch or it will remove all previous security.)

Thank Post
    You say change the path in active directory but whats the quick way of doing it, dont really want to go throught over 1000 users and change the path`

Thank Post
    You say change the path in active directory but whats the quick way of doing it, dont really want to go throught over 1000 users and change the path`
    I think everyone's assuming the same as I am, that you're using Group Policy to redirect the folder. That would require changing the path once but would affect all users that GPO is applied to.

Thank Post
    nope thats not how its been setup, it setup has the attachment is

The user then can get to their documents by eithier through my computer or using a shorcut that goes to the o drive (Has shown in the picture, it is mapped)

Thank Post
    DFS would be a good thing here, get it set-up, then it doesn't really matter which box they are on

Thank Post
    Yer dfs for the win, started to use this now, done the redirected start menus, desktops and profiles on it so far, will make these one replicated has will, incase a the server goes down

This was just how it was setup when I started, havent changed it yet, but when I upgrade the server after moving the folders, it will be a dfs share, plus in diffrent folder, every single user in in one folder, will move it so teachers, non teaching staff, admins, year 7, year 8, year 9, year 10, year 11 are sepreate and in the own folders

hang on just saw this thread

User's Network Home Folder Permissions

on there in has this

Mapped as:
    \\servername\users$\Admin\%username%
    \\servername\users$\Yeargroup\Intake Year\%username%
    \\servername\users$\Teaching Staff\%username%
    \\servername\users$\Non-teaching Staff\%username%
    \\servername\users$\System Administrators\%username%

they have %username%

Would that meen I could use that instead of the actual user name on the user home folder link, if so that would slove my problem, has I can use admanger to change it to all the users
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 11th May 2010 at 06:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok I need to move the folder where all the students and staff documents are kept, has I need to move this to another location while I upgrade the server from 2003R2 to 200R2

What the best way of doing this?
    Backup/Restore or something like robocopy (I normally use robocopy).

I believe each user has their own security rights for the own area and ofcourse we have admin rights of each folder.

How can I move all the folders with the security rights intact?
    robocopy can copy the ACLs

Multiple select in Active directory. Use \\server\share$\%username%

If the folders are not created the mmc console will create them. If they have already been copied then it will just complain that it already exists (but will change the path anyway).

Also what the best way of transfering the dhcp service from 2003R2 to 2008R2
    netsh How to use the Netsh utility to export and import DHCP scopes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry i did not catch this earlier been pretty busy, but as said in the above post made by DMCoy, if you select all the users within an OU you are able to set properties for the user. use the %username% variable at the end of the path.

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread